Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » Size of rear sight blade screws?
Size of rear sight blade screws? [message #35762] Fri, 16 January 2015 10:41 Go to next message
Dolomite_supafly is currently offline  Dolomite_supafly
Novice Contributor
I am wondering if anyone knows the size of the flat tip screws that hold the rear sight blade in place on the competition sight?

I was shooting yesterday and noticed the sight blade flopping around. There is no way I would be able to find it.

I do know it is smaller than 4-40 but unsure as to what size it might actually be. If need be I can post detailed pictures.

Thanks

[Updated on: Fri, 16 January 2015 10:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Size of rear sight blade screws? [message #35769 is a reply to message #35762] Fri, 16 January 2015 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
I moved this from the contender reference ONLY section. It's a question, not information. Questions are to be asked in Gun talk or Do It yourself gunsmithing. Once we know what the size and thread pitch is (if ever), I'll post it in the reference area. This is the second in the last week I've had to move. Since it's a Contender sight, and we don't have a clue as to what sight it is you're referring to, post a pix or several from different angles. I may have the sight, but may take a while to find a thread pitch and diamenter "gauge" (provided it isn't a PITA to remove the screw). I wouldn't destroy a new sight just to find that out.
Jim
Re: Size of rear sight blade screws? [message #35831 is a reply to message #35769] Mon, 19 January 2015 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
And here are pictures. The rear sight blade has been removed to prevent its loss. I do have one screw but figured I would ask so I could order online rather than take a trip to town. The holes in the rear sight blasé are threaded. They normally have a small flat tip screw through the rear sight blade and screwed into the sight itself to hold the blade in place.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/Adyth/IMG_0114_zpsd89d9320.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/Adyth/IMG_0113_zps589dd08a.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/Adyth/IMG_0112_zps071b292e.jpg
Re: Size of rear sight blade screws? [message #35837 is a reply to message #35831] Mon, 19 January 2015 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
OK, I've got one new, and complete. Comes with three interchangeable blades for the back, all three use the same screws. You can find out just as easy as I can, maybe easier. Take the one you have with you and check at a store. Take the barrel with you to make sure it threads in the sight. Too long is better than too short. Another one similar in style didn't have the three interchangeable blades.
Jim
Re: Size of rear sight blade screws? [message #37683 is a reply to message #35837] Fri, 13 March 2015 23:28 Go to previous message
Novice Contributor
Just to update this. I was able to find the correct screws at Ace Hardware. The size is 2-56 and works perfectly.
Previous Topic: 5.56 in 223
Next Topic: Adding pillars to forend
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 01 19:23:42 EDT 2024