Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » question on shotgun barrel
question on shotgun barrel [message #35888] Wed, 21 January 2015 09:27 Go to next message
fbcoach39 is currently offline  fbcoach39
Forum Newbie
I just bought my first TC Encore and I am looking to get some information on the shotgun barrels for this encore. So if there are any turkey hunters out here I would like to hear your input on this. Thanks
Re: question on shotgun barrel [message #35892 is a reply to message #35888] Wed, 21 January 2015 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kodabear is currently offline  kodabear
Forum Newbie
Turkey barrels are pretty much non existent for whatever the reason. You can find some on line but they are the earlier camo pattern that clashes real bad with the hardwood pattern IMHO.

The Turkey barrels come with a Ported TC extended X Full Turkey Choke. If you plan on using the Federals ( which I strongly favor ) with the Flite Control Wads you are screwed. Ported choke tubes and Flite Control Wads a BIG No NO according to Federal.

The ammo guys are killin me with them damn air brake wads. Winchester has wads that have 3 very pointed "wings" that pop out and I have visions of those points getting in one of the ports and it'll go all bad right there. Too, I have had one of those Winny Wads go deads nut center right through the pattern board at 40 yards. Not sure how a Turkey would do in that case, but I'm thinking plastic wouldn't be the best bet.

I also have Pattern Master chokes for my Benellis. And it says plain as day, "Not for use with Flite Control Wads". I think the safest bet is don't get or use a Ported Choke Tube and then you can shoot about anything that trips your trigger.

On a good note, George Trulock over to Trulock Chokes has non ported Turkey tubes for the Encores, up to and including a real Turkey Stomper tube for the Federal No7 Heavy Turkey loads.

I do like the Turkey Encore setup. The gun according to TC/Smith is supposed to weigh in at about 6+ pounds. Mine on a Postal scale tagged in at 5 3/4 pounds. It balances nice, and feels good in the hands.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 January 2015 18:50] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: question on shotgun barrel [message #35902 is a reply to message #35892] Wed, 21 January 2015 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TScottW99 is currently offline  TScottW99
Novice Contributor

I bought an Encore Pro-Hunter Predator and then a 12 gauge barrel. I plan on getting it dipped someday, in the below pic I have camo tape on the barrel. Right now I'm shooting a Pure Gold choke tube and Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend 3" loads. It's deadly on the birds, drops them in their tracks. Not much flooping just straight to the ground Very Happy I do want to try the new Winchester load on some paper this year.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/TScottW99/thumper.jpg
Re: question on shotgun barrel [message #35950 is a reply to message #35902] Thu, 22 January 2015 18:53 Go to previous message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
OK - Reminder to stay "on topic". This went WAY off topic really quick, so I deleted all of the off topic responses and modified the remainder for on-topic material only. If you want to have an off-topic conversation, do it in the General Conversation sub-forum. Keep this one on topic. Thank you for your assistance with these matters and thank you for assisting fbcoach39.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

[Updated on: Thu, 22 January 2015 18:53]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: 357 mag Encore pistol
Next Topic: 460 S&W
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 17:00:47 EDT 2024