Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » New Bergara Barrel Locks Up (Can't open Encore)
New Bergara Barrel Locks Up [message #35991] Fri, 23 January 2015 19:28 Go to next message
Okiewind is currently offline  Okiewind
Forum Newbie
Great group, lots of help! [Very Happy]
i bought new 300 Win Mag and 308 Bergara stainless barrels for $135 each from a local gun shop closing out. The 308 barrel works fine locking and unlocking into the frame. The 300 won't open. It seems the forward edge of the extractor is too long and catching on the frame. Is it safe to change the angle on the forward edge just a smidgeon (with a file) giving it clearance to clear the frame, then cam out the empty case? As it is I can open the barrel if i crack the barrel open a small bit, then push the extractor back a bit.
Short of it, the extractor appears to be a few thousandths long, keeping it from being opened.
Do I just hit it a few licks with a file, keeping the original angle?
Your thoughts, advice, and experience is appreciated gentlemen!
Re: New Bergara Barrel Locks Up [message #35993 is a reply to message #35991] Fri, 23 January 2015 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
I've never used (or even seen) a .300 WM in an Encore but the first thing I would do is to see if that extractor is the same as the one on the .308. If it is, I would do a swap and see what happens.
Re: New Bergara Barrel Locks Up [message #35994 is a reply to message #35993] Fri, 23 January 2015 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
The extractors can't be the same the 300 WM is a much fatter case.
Jim
Re: New Bergara Barrel Locks Up [message #35995 is a reply to message #35993] Fri, 23 January 2015 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
contact Bergara they should with out trouble repair the problem and that way your sure its safe that's a BIG boomer to make a mistake with
Re: New Bergara Barrel Locks Up [message #35996 is a reply to message #35994] Fri, 23 January 2015 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
He may have a locking bolt issue, but he's convinced it's the extractor. taking a little off the face, keeping the angle close isn't going to hurt anything, even a little short it will still do it's job. i would suggest doing just a smidge and checking quick. If it hasn't gotten any better after that first attempt, jump to the locking bolts. Stone it with a hard arkansas stone and touch-up blue (if it's blued) the extractor when finished, it does "ride" on the front of the frame when it operates. Always works nicer when things are baby's butt smooth.
Jim
Re: New Bergara Barrel Locks Up [message #35997 is a reply to message #35996] Fri, 23 January 2015 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
jamesgammel wrote on Fri, 23 January 2015 20:47
He may have a locking bolt issue, but he's convinced it's the extractor. taking a little off the face, keeping the angle close isn't going to hurt anything, even a little short it will still do it's job. i would suggest doing just a smidge and checking quick. If it hasn't gotten any better after that first attempt, jump to the locking bolts. Stone it with a hard arkansas stone and touch-up blue (if it's blued) the extractor when finished, it does "ride" on the front of the frame when it operates. Always works nicer when things are baby's butt smooth.
Jim

Not the locking bolts, it is the extractor hitting the front of the frame. It is too long and locking where the frame should cam it back.
It opens just a bit, then stops. If I push the extractor back a little bit it opens fine.
When closed it feels tight but if the forend is on, I can't push the extractor to open it.
I'll use a fine EZE lap diamond hone and stone to take off some like you suggest! Cool

[Updated on: Fri, 23 January 2015 22:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New Bergara Barrel Locks Up [message #36001 is a reply to message #35997] Sat, 24 January 2015 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigdave1977 is currently offline  bigdave1977
Novice Contributor
Call bergara, tell them what is going on, they will send you a new extractor. Just replace it, if that doesn't work, call them again and they will give you a shipping label and you can send it to them and they will fix it. I had some problems with a 30-06 barrel I bought of theirs. It takes them about 2 weeks to do the work, their work caused more problems, but they wound up sending me new replacement parts to replace the spare parts I used to fix it my self.

Dave
Re: New Bergara Barrel Locks Up [message #36045 is a reply to message #36001] Sun, 25 January 2015 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
armalitedan1 is currently offline  armalitedan1
Novice Contributor
I would grab a set of calipers and see if the overall length is the same. if the 308 is shorter I would try it in the barrel(without a shell obviously) just to see if its still an issue. just a thought
Re: New Bergara Barrel Locks Up [message #36274 is a reply to message #36045] Sun, 01 February 2015 07:02 Go to previous message
Forum Newbie
I went back and got another Bergara 223 1-10 stainless barrel for $135. It did the same thing as the 300 WM barrel. Closed properly but not open all the way.
The extractor was a tad too long. I changed the angle of the extractor where it cams against the frame and it now works properly. The factory cut angle was a bit too steep so I lessened the angle by removing metal primarily from the bottom.
It now works like a champ!
I have the 300 Win Mag barrel on the bench and will work on that extractor in the next day or too. Once I get that done I'll be going to the range to sight them in.
I'm into the 223 and 300 with Nikon scopes for a about $680. The 223 is sporting a P223 and the 300 a 4.5-14 Buckmaster. I used Leupold Rifleman bases with Durasight QD rings. ((Natchez SS had the Nikons on closeout too so I got really good deals on them too.)
What is funny is the 308 barrel worked properly on a stainless frame. I did not try it on the blued frame I am mounting these other barrels too.
FWIW the 308 barrel is now 18" long and threaded 5/8-24. The stainless frame has a Choate folder and forend, with a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x BDC on it. It is a heavy little booger but is only 23.5" long with the stock folded. It will make a great pack rifle and still be viable for shots out to 500 yards.
If the 223 barrel proves accurate, it may also loose 6" and get threaded.
If the barrels had not been such a great deal at $135 each, my wallet would not have taken such a hit!
LOL

[Updated on: Sun, 01 February 2015 07:03]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Trigger Job Needed
Next Topic: Front Sight
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 04:46:05 EDT 2024