Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » General info on Contenders
General info on Contenders [message #36080] Mon, 26 January 2015 23:51 Go to next message
winman1550 is currently offline  winman1550
Novice Contributor
I've never owned a contender. If I was to buy one, which model (1st or 2nd or whatever) frame would you recommend and why? Of course I like the pistol aspect but would like a carbine mostly. Thank you for any and all suggestions.

Greg
Re: General info on Contenders [message #36081 is a reply to message #36080] Tue, 27 January 2015 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nhmikel is currently offline  nhmikel
First you need to list what your intentions are? Hunting, target, distance, etc... start with this and whatever your budget allows

Seeking Thompson Center items, anything TC pls pm me or nhmikel@yahoo.com
Re: General info on Contenders [message #36083 is a reply to message #36081] Tue, 27 January 2015 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
Hunting is my main objective. Target shooting is fine as long as I'm doing it to sight in the gun. Like I said a pistol setup is ok but I'd lean more towards a carbine setup. 0-200-250 max yardage. I was just interested in what contender frame was a better choice. Early or late or whatever?

Thanks, Greg
Re: General info on Contenders [message #36089 is a reply to message #36083] Tue, 27 January 2015 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Based on the hunting setup, you can go with either. My personal preference is still the G1 because of the ability to make trigger adjustments though.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: General info on Contenders [message #36090 is a reply to message #36089] Tue, 27 January 2015 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
That's trigger adjustments with an allen wrench, NOT screwing around pulling and exchanging springs you have to buy from some outside source and voids your warranty or filing/stoning to get into acceptable ranges.
The triggers on all my using G-1 frames rival the triggers on my High Standard target pistols.
Jim
Re: General info on Contenders [message #36093 is a reply to message #36090] Tue, 27 January 2015 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

A while ago I did an nice long reply about the merits of the G1 verses the G2 in Contenders, as I hit the submit reply it dumped and all was lost.

Mainly what I was saying was what Crubear and Jim have told you that the G1 was a better choice because of the fact that the trigger is much better to work with. The barrels that are listed as G2 barrels will interchange with any other Contender barrel. You can find just about any caliber cartridge that you would need from Mice to Moose. The only problem with caliber choice is the high pressure loads that you find mostly in Encore barrels is too much pressure for even the G2. Cartridges like the 243 and 308 on up to and including the 300 Win Mag are available in Encore, but the highest pressure loads for the Contender are usually in the range of the 444 Marlin and wildcats made from it. Even then I don't feel comfortable with using that much in my Contenders but people do it all the time. So you can find a load to do just about anything even African usage in the Contender. Get a later model easyopen Contender and you won't be sorry.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: General info on Contenders [message #36095 is a reply to message #36093] Tue, 27 January 2015 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
or an earlier one that was factory converted. I've seen 4 and 5 digit frames that were converted, got an interesting one coming later this week.
Jim
Re: General info on Contenders [message #36100 is a reply to message #36095] Tue, 27 January 2015 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Or, to make what Jim is saying easier.... get a frame that has a pin just above the frame.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: General info on Contenders [message #36109 is a reply to message #36100] Tue, 27 January 2015 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
just above the trigger, The "pin" above a frame is the barrel Shocked Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Laughing
Re: General info on Contenders [message #36111 is a reply to message #36109] Tue, 27 January 2015 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

And the nut behind the frame is usually me.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: General info on Contenders [message #36113 is a reply to message #36111] Tue, 27 January 2015 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Good thing there's no squirrels in your neck-of-the-woods Embarassed Laughing
Re: General info on Contenders [message #36132 is a reply to message #36113] Wed, 28 January 2015 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Novice Contributor
Thanks for all the help guy's. And especially Jim for our very informative learning session on the phone.

Thanks again, Greg
Previous Topic: 300 mags.if you had the choice
Next Topic: Difference in barrels for TCR and TC Encore
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 01:16:34 EDT 2024