Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Pachy grips and hammer extensions (some cautions, may apply to G-2's and encores as well)
Pachy grips and hammer extensions [message #36283] Sun, 01 February 2015 15:42 Go to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Yesterday a gun I bought on Gunbroker arrived at my ffl. I went in, we first got it logged in, and i did a quick check, cocked the hammer a few times, made sure the serial number matched the paperwork, etc.

It's a G-1 Contender 186K serial, easy-open trigger guard, and the swing-lever saftey/firing pin selector. Also came with an Uncle Mike's "new" hammer extension. The barrel on it was a 10" SS 45-410. Decided to give it my regular full testing and on the second hammer cock test--failure to cock. Hmmmmmmm. "slammed" her shut next time, hammer locked like it should. Hmmmmm so far 50-50.
Third time--failed. 4th--failed again. Tried another barrel, all failures.
Pulled off the Pachy gripper. Damn, there was a BUNCH of little shredded rubber balls down in there. Mounting bolt threads were freakin near full of that rubber crap. Looked up in the action, and sure enough I could see that rubber crap in there too. Took her outside, douched the hell out her with WD-40 shaking and tipping every which way to flush out any and all junk in there. When pretty well drained, re-douched with ether, that really had crap flowing out. Shook good and gave her another ether douche job.

Now the frame was squeeky clean, coked the hammer back, still didn't lock, but I could feel the hammer notch JUST BARELY touch the sear's notch. Che4cked again, and could see that the sear did not tip forward like it should when the hammer reaches full cock. Weak sear spring? So I pull the hammer back and keep a real close eye on the spur and frame rear top. SH!T!!!! the Hammer extension was hitting the frame, it wasn't letting it go back FAR ENOUGH. Had to go past the notch for the sear to shift forward to engage the two notches. The Hammer extension was made for the 1st two hammer styles and both of those have wider spurs, and the sprur angle is higher than on the later swing-lever hammer. When the frame was converted they had plenty of the cross-bolt hammer hammer extensions and said "so what" that the slot width was wider, the screw was still long enough to hit into the other side of the spur. Yeah, it "fit" but NOT PROPERLY.

Took off the hammer extension, everything was GOLDEN. Moral of the story: Make sure if you use a hammer extension when You cock the hammer FULLY rearward, Only the back of the hammer touches in the hammer's slot, or top of frame and/or grip. Check in any area where it can POSSIBLY sit.

Back to the Pachy's. if you are using one take it off and really LOOK at it. There's a metal tube that's tapered from top to the bottom where the bolt enters. there's also a NOTCH in the top forward part. That's where the screw and spring sit. When these things are made, a thin layer of rubber flows over the m etal and invarably down in the tapered tub, on top of the metal at the very top. That rubber gets shaved off and finds it way into the action from the hammer area. recoil shifts the rubber and scrapes off more so it's continually shedding/shredding rubber in there. You can see thin "sheets" where rubber get's into the mold's gap. That thin crap eventually comes off and finds it's way into the frame. 6 of 6 grips I checked all had the same thing, some was just worse than others. NONE was immune. If you use them, just figure on more preventive maintenace by removing the grips, and cleaning the grip and action more often than if you used a wood or composite grip.

Use em if you want/like, but the best use I've found for them is dog fetch toys.
Jim

Re: Pachy grips and hammer extensions [message #36285 is a reply to message #36283] Sun, 01 February 2015 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wwkmag is currently offline  wwkmag

Been there, done that , and still doing that! Jim, maybe that barrel is no good? Would you like to give it away? I might even give you a few dollars, ha ha ha!
Re: Pachy grips and hammer extensions [message #36287 is a reply to message #36285] Sun, 01 February 2015 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
I had another yet untried frame (shot), still one more, so I put a grip on the one, that barrel and grabbed 5 shells (2 1/2" #6's) and rthe 4 big dogs and we went bunny hunting anyway. saw a BUNCH of rabbits, most at 60 yards. Did get 4 quick shots off, found some fur but from two but no dead ones. Not easy even getting a shot off at a rabbit running full tilt when you have a 3-5 foot open window to even see them, real thick and high heavy stuff. The dogs have a good time and that's what counts, meat for them or not. A virtual miracle to get fur on half the shots attempted. So the barrel is good, Was hoping maybe a crow would fly over, but it was cold and real windy, liked to froze my ass off. All I managed to accomplish was 4 tired but happy dogs, a big blister on one achilles tendon, froze to the bone that took 2 hours to finally warm up, and 4 empty shot-shells. Maybe another day our luck will go better. Certainly didn't put a dent in the bunny population, so that's still golden.
Jim
Re: Pachy grips and hammer extensions [message #36288 is a reply to message #36285] Sun, 01 February 2015 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
sounds like a frame problem to me, go ahead and send it out here will take care of it for you BUDDY
Re: Pachy grips and hammer extensions [message #36290 is a reply to message #36288] Sun, 01 February 2015 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
BUDDY was my ex-father-in-law's Birth name. He was planted a number of years back, Leukemia nailed the poor guy in two months. He was great till we got divorced, then he and his wife pretended the grandkids and I didn't exist anymore. Maybe because as a result his daughter was living real close to them and not 1500 miles away anymore.
I didn't habor a grudge because of that for many years he was an ideal in-law so i did attend (and took the two kids) to his funeral. Ex was there too for her allotted 5 minutes to pay her respects standing between 2 US Marshals, before boarding a plane back to the federal pen she was doing her time at. Thank goodness that was the last time I was forced to see her. She was released when ex-mother-in-law passed, so I didn't go, but paid my daughter's way to represent the Wyoming branch. About twice a year I see a notice that a 10 or 25.00 child support payment was made, at that rate she might get it paid off in 500 years. She spends so much time in the county jail I often think she must have a permanent bed and mailbox there for non-payment of support.
Re: Pachy grips and hammer extensions [message #36293 is a reply to message #36290] Sun, 01 February 2015 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
LOL WTMI
Re: Pachy grips and hammer extensions [message #36304 is a reply to message #36290] Mon, 02 February 2015 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wwkmag is currently offline  wwkmag

Ideal father in law ? 1500 miles away? IDEAL it is!
Re: Pachy grips and hammer extensions [message #36310 is a reply to message #36304] Mon, 02 February 2015 12:48 Go to previous message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
wwkmag wrote on Mon, 02 February 2015 10:12
Ideal father in law ? 1500 miles away? IDEAL it is!

My father-in-law is my hunting buddy. Wife never questions where I am when hunting. Smile
Previous Topic: Best way to clean stainless barrrel
Next Topic: I need help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 05:23:01 EDT 2024