Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Success, FINALLY (Bunny Hunting)
Success, FINALLY [message #36315] Mon, 02 February 2015 18:26 Go to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Finally, after several hundred rounds fired, we got our FIRST bunny.
Weather was decent, so decided to take the 4 big kids out and see if we could get a bunny to barbeque for them to have for dinner tonite. We ALWAYS see at least 30-40 when we go out, but not gonna shoot at em 80 yards away. Have taken a few pokes at em 60 yards running up a hill (the shots get the kids really excited, so they work harder Twisted Evil)

Only took 6 410 shells, 2 1/2 #6's. first 5 attempts were goose-eggs, and at about 10 yards, pondered whether to take the choke tube out, but didn't have the key with me, so that was a non-option anyway.

FINALLY, Coug moved one half-way up the hill. USUALLY they run up-hill, this one goofed and ran down, and Cami took up the pursuit when it went through an opening. Through some brush, into another opening, BANG, I hit the sucker. Ended up sitting under a short greasewood bush. Not dead, but feeling a good bit "ill". 10th shot out of the new SS 45-410 nails one. Two dogs went right past the sick bunny, but "Little" pounces on it, picks it up and sets it down right next to my right foot. I stash it in a small tree (didn't have my game vest on) and we continue bunny hunting with the 22 auto, I had 3 mags, 25 rounds with me. Took two hail-mary shots at a couple runners, no more scores. It's sighted in for 30 yards. Most were either at 50 or maybe 10.

Wife took a couple pix: me, the 4 kids, and our "prize" (their prize, they'll all get to eat it come dinner time.)

index.php?t=getfile&id=6018&private=0

Me, of course with the gun and bunny. Cougar is the male black and White Springer front right. Cami is the German Shepard. "little" (Crystal) is the liver and White Springer. Behind me is the first born, Cleo, Orange and White Brittany, also the mom of the pups in another story, who didn't get to go bunny hunting.

With all the white dogs, Can't just shoot at white streaks in the heavy brush, so a lot of shots aren't taken.

• Attachment: success_1.jpg
    (Size: 42.73KB, Downloaded 590 times)

[Updated on: Mon, 02 February 2015 18:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Success, FINALLY [message #36318 is a reply to message #36315] Mon, 02 February 2015 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
Have you patterned that .410 yet? I'd be curious to know what kind of actual pattern it gives with the rifling trying to sling shot in a donut and the choke trying to reign it back in again.
Re: Success, FINALLY [message #36325 is a reply to message #36315] Mon, 02 February 2015 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wwkmag is currently offline  wwkmag

I'm glad you told us which one you are, LOL.
Re: Success, FINALLY [message #36326 is a reply to message #36325] Mon, 02 February 2015 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
Good job Jim. I'm with Doyle, I always wondered how those barrels would pattern as well.??
Mike
Re: Success, FINALLY [message #36328 is a reply to message #36318] Mon, 02 February 2015 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
I don't know that the rifling has any effect. We have a .410 WAD with shot in it, going down a .458 bore (left handed)so it *may* be bouncing from one side to another and not spinning at all. Even IF .010 lands that's .438, still .020 slop. Now the shot could easily all get jammed toward the rear swelling the column wider, and the wad and shot would then spin. I am using the shorter 2 1/2" shells, 1/2 inch of jump to the forcing cone. I've got 15 left, I'll shoot two for patterns: Both at 15 yards (45 feet), one with the choke in, the other with the choke removed. 1/2 ounce of #6, Federal Game-Shok's. When I get a chance, I'll see if I can pick up some 3", #6's if possible. Do the same pattern check on them too.
Jim

[Updated on: Mon, 02 February 2015 23:51]

Re: Success, FINALLY [message #36333 is a reply to message #36328] Tue, 03 February 2015 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
That is a good point. I have always figured that you would get a serious scattered shot by firing down a rifled barrel. I suppose using a capsule shot such as CCI ratshot, this would be the case. However, with a .410 that is utilizing a wad, it should keep the shot together until after it leaves the bore. I reload shotgun shells and can't believe I haven't had this revelation before. Thanks Jim. Not sure if the rotation of the group of pellets affects the pattern though. Waiting for the results....... Any chance you have a smooth bore .410 for comparison?
Re: Success, FINALLY [message #36338 is a reply to message #36333] Tue, 03 February 2015 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
a 10" smoothbore 410 would have me sitting in a federal pen. No thanks. How about you make that comparison, and use your library time at the pen to let us know how the comparison came out? Twisted Evil
Shocked
Re: Success, FINALLY [message #36342 is a reply to message #36338] Tue, 03 February 2015 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
Quote:
a 10" smoothbore 410 would have me sitting in a federal pen.
I believe that would be an "AOW" which would simply require a BATF tax stamp.
Re: Success, FINALLY [message #36345 is a reply to message #36342] Tue, 03 February 2015 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Ah, you and rich think the same. You expect me to go under ATF's radar by getting the stamp, which I'll just bet isn't FREE. Then I'm supposed to get the 410 smoothbore threaded for various constriction chokes to do the "Test" to report.

The choices are a bit limited, have to be from someone already in the Contender barrel building business. Let's say MGM would consent. They'd have to take one of their "legal" length 410 barrels, and shorten it to ten inches. Then counterbore and thread it to take chokes. They may or may not be willing to make a big selection, like 8 for instance: Cylinder, skeet 1, IC, Skeet 2, modified, improved modified, full, and X-tra full. Browning is the only one that carries (standard) various chokes for .410, mosty of the others it's just a choice of full or full (NO CHOICE). Briley said they want 115.00 for EACH cutom made choke, and you have to give them the barrel. 115 X8 on top of the 400 for the MGM barrel. T/C 410's generally sell for 250-650 for their Contender 410's, and only get one full choke. Still have to cut down on MY DIME. Same with the reboreing and threading. If it's just "a matter of a stamp", why don't YOU do the test instead of expecting ME to do not only the $$$ barrel outlay, but also the time and expense of the ammo, and pattern paper just to satisfy everyone else's "curiosity". Make you all a deal, You collect the 1600.00 and send it to me and I'll be glad to do the test, and I get to keep the barrel. I really like that "simply require", it's only simply when someone else is expected to do it.
Re: Success, FINALLY [message #36347 is a reply to message #36345] Tue, 03 February 2015 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wwkmag is currently offline  wwkmag

I have had good patterns from 10" and 12" contender and encore. For crows out to 20 yards I had to use 3" #4s to get a killing shot. I have used 2.5" #7.5 shot on red squirrels at close as I could get. Good patterns on all , but I prefer 3" #4s for killing.
Re: Success, FINALLY [message #36348 is a reply to message #36347] Tue, 03 February 2015 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
You don't necessarily have to have Kill's. I've taken many a bunny and pheasants with 12 gauge skeet loads, 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz #9's. It just takes one pellet to break a wing, or a bunny's leg. A broken leg bunny pretty much stays put. The dogs then can find, grab, and bring them to me. A head stomp, neck/break will finish them off. A broken wing pheasant, is more likely to be a runner, eventually making a mistake and a dog will find, grab, and bring it back to me. Rip the head off (real easy on a dove) and they're finished, cept maybe a little wing flapping.
On this topic, though, a much more logical solution is a 10 or 12" 28 guage smoothbore with browning invector tube set-up. You can get them in SS and they aren't outragous in price, and a LOT of choke restriction choices. A 28 gauge skeet 1 choke would be a bird and bunny baggin machine.

[Updated on: Tue, 03 February 2015 14:07]

Re: Success, FINALLY [message #36354 is a reply to message #36348] Tue, 03 February 2015 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
I didn't mean with a 10" bbl, I meant with a regular .410 shotgun, something like a pardner or something.
Previous Topic: mgm custom
Next Topic: Hammer extension
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 05:11:18 EDT 2024