Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Determining Scope Ring Height (Why & how?)
Determining Scope Ring Height [message #36373] Wed, 04 February 2015 03:08 Go to next message
nhmikel is currently offline  nhmikel
Currently in the process of setting up my ML for a scope.
Whats the best way to determine whether low, med or high, etc work?
It has a factory piccanty rail

Seeking Thompson Center items, anything TC pls pm me or nhmikel@yahoo.com
Re: Determining Scope Ring Height [message #36375 is a reply to message #36373] Wed, 04 February 2015 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
Most scope ring manufacturers list the height of each ring (measured from the base to the bottom of the ring). If you measure the distance from the tube to the edge of the bell (bell diameter less tube diameter then divide by 2) you'll get a pretty good idea. As a general rule of thumb, most 30mm scopes will take either a low or medium. Most 40mm scopes will requie at least a medium and some even a high ring. 50mm scopes will require at least a high.

[Updated on: Wed, 04 February 2015 08:47]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Determining Scope Ring Height [message #36376 is a reply to message #36375] Wed, 04 February 2015 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Objective dia = 1.6"
Tube dia = 1.0"
Re: Determining Scope Ring Height [message #36378 is a reply to message #36376] Wed, 04 February 2015 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
There are two ways of measuring depending on how the ring manufacturer lists their rings. Some (like I said earlier) list the measurement from the bottom of the actual ring to the base. Others (like Burris) list the measurement from the center of the scope to the bottom of the base. Since I have a chart for Burris handy, I'll use that. A Burris picatinny "low" ring is .75 from the center of the scope to the base. Your objective diamenter is 1.6" which divided by two equals .8. Therefore, I would expect a Burris low ring to be iffy. Now, the caveat to that is that the base itself has height so the height of the base might be just enough to clear the barrel since your difference is only .05". A Burris medium ring is 1" from the center of the scope to the base so that should give you plenty of clearance.

What that tells me is that a Burris medium is a sure thing and a Burris low is a maybe. Personally, if I had a dealer that would let me try and then exchange if I chose wrong I'd try the low first and exchange for medium if they didn't work.
Re: Determining Scope Ring Height [message #36383 is a reply to message #36378] Wed, 04 February 2015 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will be using the Leupold Ultimate Slam 2-7x33. I had looked at the website and they did not list the distance from the base to the centerline?

Seeking Thompson Center items, anything TC pls pm me or nhmikel@yahoo.com
Re: Determining Scope Ring Height [message #36387 is a reply to message #36383] Wed, 04 February 2015 11:39 Go to previous message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
All my pistol barrels (Contender full bulls) with 32MM objectives have more than enough room with burris bases and Low rings.
On a tapered 21, a Millet High on a burris base cleared a 56 MM objective scope (Millet high is a little shorter than a Burris or Leupold/Redfield High). I shoot for just minimal clearance with a flip up Blizzard scope cover on the objective lens.
The simplest solution is decide on a base, and get One set of low, medium, and high that are strictly trials. Start with the medium, and see if there's a chance a low will work., the medium is too short so you need a high, then try it. Once you see the pattern for barrel vs ring/objective height you'll know. If you change contour, you're back to square one. So Keep one set reserved just for determining which you'll need, then buy (or stash) several that you tend to use a lot. Since all my pistol barrels are Bulls, and all my pistol scopes have 32 mm objectives I already know that Lows will work on even the 16 tapered pistol barrels with even more room to spare. So my parts box has at least 10 sets of low rings waiting for barrels to be used on, 5 sets of mediums, and no Highs (Nobody makes a pistol scope with larger than 32 MM Objective). The mediums are more likely to be used on rifle scopes on 21 tapered or 23 bulls. (That's 10 sets of Black, another 10 sets of silver Lows, same with the black and silver mediums.) Easily a dozen sets of both black and silver Burris Bases, all NIP.
Previous Topic: Weaver bases for Encore
Next Topic: 20 GAUGE CONTENDER
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 20:36:12 EDT 2024