Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » I'm sure I paid too much ....but a factory 6.5x55?
I'm sure I paid too much ....but a factory 6.5x55? [message #36390] Wed, 04 February 2015 13:17 Go to next message
recondoc is currently offline  recondoc
Forum Newbie
I'm almost certain that I gave too much for this barrel but dang it looks good. I found a 6.5x55 TC barrel and picked it up. It is a blued 26" with the TC Heavy/ Pro-Hunter style contour. I can't find any reference to TC currently listing this barrel.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x137/recondocb/20150204_113423_zpsb69965fc.jpg

Does anyone know when they were made? It's marked Rochester. It fits my Pro-Hunter frame like they were made together. Absolute bank vault lockup.

I sure hope she's a shooter but won't be able to find out for a week or more.

Excited,
Doc

Semper Fi! Corpsman Up!
Re: I'm sure I paid too much ....but a factory 6.5x55? [message #36393 is a reply to message #36390] Wed, 04 February 2015 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Doc, You didn't say how much they soaked you, but it may not have been too much. I'll need a while to check my catalogs to see if it was ever a production offering; but, It has been a C/S offering. You didn't mention if you saw any C/S logo on it.
MGM sells a good number in this chambering, I'm reasonably sure Bellm offers it in a Custom Bergara barrel. White will likely rechamber one for someone as well.
Re: I'm sure I paid too much ....but a factory 6.5x55? [message #36398 is a reply to message #36393] Wed, 04 February 2015 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Howdy James,
What did the CS logo look like? If it is something subtle, then I might have missed it. Otherwise, it just has the stock TC markings.
I gave 400 for it. Quite a bit more than I could have ordered an EABCO or MGM but I wasn't feeling patient enought to wait for a custom barrel to be put together. When I called, neither shop had one ready to ship in 6.5 SE.
The only markings, other than those in the picture above are on the hinge tang. Right side has a Circle with a V in the center, bottom has a diamond and the left side has a Circle with a Star in the center. Hand engraved on the hinge tang is 6.5x55.
Thanks for looking into this,
Doc

Semper Fi! Corpsman Up!

[Updated on: Wed, 04 February 2015 16:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: I'm sure I paid too much ....but a factory 6.5x55? [message #36419 is a reply to message #36398] Thu, 05 February 2015 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Doc, you definitely have the TC bug... Wink

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: I'm sure I paid too much ....but a factory 6.5x55? [message #36424 is a reply to message #36419] Thu, 05 February 2015 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
IF the C'S logo was there, no way you could have missed it, it's huge. Anyway, I checked all my catalogs from 96-2014 and I didn't see it listed. I am missing maybe 4; However, They had a tenancy of having to have the left nut ripped off one year, and the right the next. In other words the odds of it being in one I don't have is pretty nil.

TCA, however did also have the C/S make special limited runs for them, I'm more familiar with the Contender ones, don't really give a rat's ass about what they had made for encores. It wouldn't surprise me, that since TCA had a tendency to select one of two ways. A real popular chambering in some odd barrel configuration, or a real rare or obscure one factory released (or not) but C/S offered. If I was a bettin man, I'd bet that the one you have is one of the goofy TCA selections, obviously chosen before the C/S went kaput. They went all marked with the special TCA logo, not always with the C/S one either. If you have the original box it shipped in, I'd have a more conclusive answer. If you suspect I have a negative impression of TCA, You're right. I have little regard for anyone that contrives "rarities" for their own gain (read pocket).
Jim

[Updated on: Thu, 05 February 2015 09:49]

Re: I'm sure I paid too much ....but a factory 6.5x55? [message #36429 is a reply to message #36424] Thu, 05 February 2015 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jplucas6.5 is currently offline  jplucas6.5
I have a 6.5x55 barrel but it does have the CS logo on the right side and it is a high gloss.
Re: I'm sure I paid too much ....but a factory 6.5x55? [message #36431 is a reply to message #36429] Thu, 05 February 2015 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Weren't there special non-cataloged runs made for different customers? Kind of like the 20" barrels that ended up going to H&H?

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: I'm sure I paid too much ....but a factory 6.5x55? [message #36456 is a reply to message #36390] Thu, 05 February 2015 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tyog is currently offline  tyog
Forum Regular
I believe if the caliber is engraved on the lug then it is a custom barrel. At least that's what a wise man once told me.
Re: I'm sure I paid too much ....but a factory 6.5x55? [message #36457 is a reply to message #36456] Thu, 05 February 2015 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
I've got some factory barrels that are hand engraved (vibrator) by the factory on the side of the hinge lug. You can tell, they aren't silver they're blued. Barrels were blued after being finished. Sure it wasn't a "wise guy" (think "the godfather")? Some are cryptic letters (one) some are more than that. The VERY early VR barrels have that.
Re: I'm sure I paid too much ....but a factory 6.5x55? [message #36462 is a reply to message #36457] Thu, 05 February 2015 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
I'm really getting excited to see what this will do. My 10 year old son and I installed a Bellme #5 spring kit and +1 pin yesterday. Pepper Grey thumbhole set in on the way from Haus Of Arms. Picking up optics this weekend. Found a Vortex 6.5x20x44 that should be perfect. Hopefully this will be my new Whitetail poison out to 5 or 6 hundred.
I just hope my Encore Bug holds for a while. I get pretty flakey about different guns. Old Mauser sporting rifles are starting to look attractive to me lately.
Doc

Semper Fi! Corpsman Up!

[Updated on: Thu, 05 February 2015 15:15]

Re: I'm sure I paid too much ....but a factory 6.5x55? [message #36472 is a reply to message #36462] Thu, 05 February 2015 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jplucas6.5 is currently offline  jplucas6.5
140gr Sierra Game kings shoot awesome in mine
Re: I'm sure I paid too much ....but a factory 6.5x55? [message #37052 is a reply to message #36472] Mon, 23 February 2015 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Forum Newbie
What are you pushing the Game Kings with JP?
I'm thinking of trying the GK140 with a RL22 behind it. Not sure how much yet.

Semper Fi! Corpsman Up!
Previous Topic: Forend ID and Help
Next Topic: What's your opinion.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 02:06:49 EDT 2024