Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » Bed the Encore Buttstock
Bed the Encore Buttstock [message #36568] Sat, 07 February 2015 21:15 Go to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
Has anyone bedded the buttstock on an Encore? I notice that with the synthetic stock, even when tight, I believe there is movement in the stock in reference to the frame when shooting.

After a long conversation with a custom long range rifle builder, he explained to me the reasons for bedding a stock so that it doesn't move. It is all about follow thru and making sure the recoil motion is the same each time you shoot. I am considering bedding the stock around the shank to make it nice and solid.

Anyone done this, any tips?

Thanks.
Re: Bed the Encore Buttstock [message #36569 is a reply to message #36568] Sat, 07 February 2015 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TScottW99 is currently offline  TScottW99
Novice Contributor

I haven't done it but have been reading up on it. A guy on a muzzleloader forum I belong to beds the tangs on his muzzleloaders for the same reason. He uses JB Weld as his bedding agent. You just have to make sure to coat the metal so that it will release.
Re: Bed the Encore Buttstock [message #36571 is a reply to message #36569] Sat, 07 February 2015 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
TScottW99 wrote on Sat, 07 February 2015 21:50
I haven't done it but have been reading up on it. A guy on a muzzleloader forum I belong to beds the tangs on his muzzleloaders for the same reason. He uses JB Weld as his bedding agent. You just have to make sure to coat the metal so that it will release.

Yeah, that is what I am planning on doing. Just wondering if anyone else has done it and had good luck with it.
Re: Bed the Encore Buttstock [message #36572 is a reply to message #36571] Sat, 07 February 2015 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okiewind is currently offline  Okiewind
Forum Newbie
I haven't thought about tightening the buttstock up with epoxy. I haven't really noticed any looseness in mine.
I have thought about trying to pillar bed the forearm on a couple of barrels.
I just need to get some more forearms before I do one. I'm sure I'll screw one up before I get it right. Shocked
Re: Bed the Encore Buttstock [message #36574 is a reply to message #36569] Sat, 07 February 2015 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Brownells has been making epoxy gun bedding material called Acraglass (sp?) for as long as I can remember. I believe there's 2 versions now, just a difference in "color". it was always on wood rifle stocks, the theory being that wood fibers absorb "water" via the changing humidity in the air. Laminated stocks were seen as less prone for this varied "movement" because of the "glue" between layers of wood. Composites (plastics, etc) were supposedly immune to swelling and making the action "move". Also, actions were bedded, sometime barrels were either free-floated, and sometimes a deliberate upward pressure at the forward end helped better with some rifles. Here we're talking bolt guns with long wood stocks, not two piece composites that aren't physically attached (butt-stock and forend). The "kit" contains a release agent that keeps the epoxy from adhering to the metal of the gun.
An encore contacts the buttstock only at the pistol grip. There's an open hole at the back that actually makes contact frame-buttstock, plus the bolt that "pulls" and holds the two together. You'd have to put some kind of temporary filler in that hole in the frame to keep the epoxy out of the action, maybe something like modeling clay. Also under the "tube" that the bolt threads into, and of course release agent on a good portion of the draw-bolt. Then, what about where the trigger guard spring and it's screw sit in the stock? Can't just let epoxy fill all that in, plus work it's way into the frame there as well. I suppose if you don't care whether your frame is permanently married to your composite buttstock, and you can't get your hammer to cock, or the action to open, I'd say go for it.
Look at your frame and your buttstock and think of every scenario where something can go wrong. If you're convinced nothing will, then go for it.
These things weren't designed and made to be BENCHREST guns. They were designed and made to be slap-together QUICK interchangeable barrels so you could change chamberings and from rifle to pistol quick. NOT for shooting the heads off fleas at 1000 yards.
It's amazing that the way their designed, all the slop that they have, they shoot as good as they do, which many people say is better than they are capable of.

[Updated on: Sat, 07 February 2015 22:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Bed the Encore Buttstock [message #38045 is a reply to message #36574] Thu, 02 April 2015 00:15 Go to previous message
RD97 is currently offline  RD97
Novice Contributor
After having my composite stock split at the wrist while firing some heavy loads, I've been thinking about ways to strengthen the buttstock and tighten up the interface between the frame and the stock. This idea popped into my head today. There's a bit of a clearance between the frame tenon (or whatever it's called) and the hole in the stock into which it fits. What if instead, the frame tenon goes into a collet, which goes into a tapered sleeve, which is then welded (or otherwise solidly affixed) to an insert or frame member of the stock? The drawbolt that holds the frame to the stock would also serve to clamp down the collet, solidifying the joint. The simplest implementation would be to weld it to a threaded ring that would accept an AR style buffer-tube extending stock, with a pistol grip epoxied over the machined bits.
I'm neither a machinist nor a mechanical engineer, so this may just be hot air. But if anyone has any constructive thoughts, I'd love to hear them.
Previous Topic: Contender Barrel Forearm Dovetail Cut
Next Topic: Katahdin Rear sight
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 01 22:16:50 EDT 2024