Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Product and Vendor Feedback » 6.5x55 Encore barrel
6.5x55 Encore barrel [message #4239] Wed, 23 March 2011 23:17
nlopez13619 is currently offline  nlopez13619
Novice Contributor
For those looking for a versatile caliber that is easy to load for and very accurate; let me recommend the 6.5x55 Swede, or Swedish Mauser, SE, it has a few different names. The cartridge was invented in 1894 and is still very popular in Europe where it is used to hunt game as large as moose and doubles as a match cartridge in 300m competition. I got my 26" heavy barrel from the wonderful Thompson Center Custom Shop when they were still open. It has a 1/8" twist, which is the ideal twist rate for .264cal and supposedly should be able to handle bullets from 85-160gr. I have been able to shoot 100gr-140gr bullets under 1" for five shot groups. Today I had my best group ever at 0.2985" for four shots with 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. I say four shots here because I put the 5th shot in a bowling pin to see the effect of the ballistic tip. I have to note my Encore uses a locking hinge pin, a pillar bedded forend, I did a trigger job, and installed a custom hammer spur with a heavier hammer spring. These barrels aren't available from TC anymore, there may be some used ones out there. The 6.5x55 has a long barrel life so if you see one don't hesitate. You can get this chambering from any custom TC barrel maker starting at $325 for the E Arthur Brown barrels that are in-stock merc.
Previous Topic: Triple Seven Blackpowder Pellets
Next Topic: Gorilla Scope mounts?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 11:52:43 EDT 2024