Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » How do I tell ID
How do I tell ID [message #36819] Sun, 15 February 2015 11:15 Go to next message
Thomtender is currently offline  Thomtender
Novice Contributor
James, How do I tell what my barrel is . SS or Weatherguard. The markings state "Encore" Prohunter, Has flutes, and is 28" lg. Stamped Rochester N.H. On the locking lug there is a stamped square with a star in it, the other side is stamped with a circle with an R in it and on the bottom a stamped diamond. Thanks for the help I know you will be able to tell. ThomTender
Re: How do I tell ID [message #36820 is a reply to message #36819] Sun, 15 February 2015 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
square stamped star is a dead give-away that's it's Stainless. As far as I know, W-S (weathershield) was a 26" deal. Used on both Contender and encore barrels. 2014 Catalog only shows W-S as on 26" fluted P-H barrels, all the 28's are fluted stainless. If they have a "code" for W-G, I wouldn't know what it would be, I don't do encores. They are coated 4140's just like blued. Maybe someone with a W-S barrel would be kind enough to send me pix of all three sides of their W-G hinge lug and tell me what chambering it is. Likely anything that's done for both encore's and contenders uses the same "code". They've changed codes over the years, we "suspect" they may have started keeping track and marking year of manuf., but we're still working on that. 2 people only have limited access to barrels, and we'd have to know (already) what year it was made. In your local store doesn't help, it could be 3 or 4 years before it finally got there. Distributors don't exactly keep tabs and cycle new vs old stock like a grocery store does milk and eggs.

[Updated on: Sun, 15 February 2015 12:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How do I tell ID [message #36821 is a reply to message #36820] Sun, 15 February 2015 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomtender is currently offline  Thomtender
Novice Contributor
Thanks James, I knew I could get the straight scoop from you. Thomtender
Re: How do I tell ID [message #36823 is a reply to message #36821] Sun, 15 February 2015 14:49 Go to previous message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
Do note that for awhile 26" stainless fluted ProHunter barrels were made also.
Previous Topic: Thompson pistol scope
Next Topic: Thompson Center Pro- Hunter weight.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 23:53:53 EDT 2024