Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Thompson Center Pro- Hunter weight. (How much do they weigh.)
Thompson Center Pro- Hunter weight. [message #36857] Tue, 17 February 2015 11:47 Go to next message
stacyleegabbard is currently offline  stacyleegabbard
Novice Contributor
I am asking this question so I can determine what caliber I would like in a rifle format. I am a small guy and a little recoil sensitive. I have owned a TC SS ENCORE in 7mm-08 with black synthetic stocks. I only shot 120 grain factory SST Hornady ammo through it. It was very pleasant and felt like a 243 cal. bolt gun. I would like to find an old style synthetic rifle stock set in Hardwoods camo pattern. I'm not wild about the newer style flex grip stocks.

Does any one know the weight of their rifle topped with a 3x9x40 scope in synthetic stocks. Does anyone know the weight of one with Laminate stocks. Any reply will be appreciated. Thanks in advance Gabby.
Re: Thompson Center Pro- Hunter weight. [message #36858 is a reply to message #36857] Tue, 17 February 2015 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jplucas6.5 is currently offline  jplucas6.5
My Encore 6.5x55 26 inch standard taper with boyds laminate thumbhole set weighs over 9 lbs. My MGM 26 inch 260 with composite thumbhole set weighs right at 9 lbs.
Re: Thompson Center Pro- Hunter weight. [message #36859 is a reply to message #36858] Tue, 17 February 2015 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
Thanks for the reply. I see a lot of 7MM mag barrels and 300 Win mags for sale or trade here on the forum. Normally I would not consider such a large caliber, but if I can trade out for some laminate stocks I would not be afraid of something like a 300 Win mag. in a 9 lb rifle. Maybe I'll get lucky and find some one interested in my 6.5 Rem mag barrel.
Re: Thompson Center Pro- Hunter weight. [message #36860 is a reply to message #36859] Tue, 17 February 2015 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Composite stocks can be weighted (internally) to help with recoil. Wood will always be heavier, but also pricier and more prone to damage: nicks, dings, gouges, etc. Packing around a 9#+ gun in the field, especially in hilly and mountainous areas is going to take it's toll. If you walk in short distances and then sit, like in a tree stand, or even a ground blind, it may matter little. I can pack two scoped pistols and be under 9#(just checked), have both hands free to climb cliffs, etc. Leave them on me within reach while eating lunch or taking a power dump and still be able to get off a shot if I had to.

[Updated on: Tue, 17 February 2015 12:47]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Thompson Center Pro- Hunter weight. [message #36861 is a reply to message #36860] Tue, 17 February 2015 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
Most of my hunting does not require me to walk to far any more. I hunt the swamps of NC. The weight would not be much of a burden plus I have six other rifles to choose from that are lighter. I guess the real reason I want a rifle format TC is that I once had a TC Encore SS 7MM-08 that I wanted to get Camo or Laminate stocks for. I fell on hard times and had to sell it. If I get lucky, I might be able to have my cake and eat it too. I can already see this guns going to be a money pit. I am recovering from Marlinitis. With this Encore to plaque me now I might as well start smoking crack. My wife says I'm doing that now.LOL

[Updated on: Tue, 17 February 2015 13:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Thompson Center Pro- Hunter weight. [message #36862 is a reply to message #36861] Tue, 17 February 2015 13:47 Go to previous message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Laughing better hide the matches and bics Laughing
Previous Topic: How do I tell ID
Next Topic: Receiver refinishing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 20:26:42 EDT 2024