Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » .45 / .410 Accuracy (Are they accurate)
.45 / .410 Accuracy [message #36976] Fri, 20 February 2015 20:36 Go to next message
DrHoward1955 is currently offline  DrHoward1955
I've been offered a trade on my 7 mag barrel. The barrel in question is the dual chambered .45 / .410
I understand their accuracy leaves something to be desired as the .410 chamber is longer than the .45 Colt leaving too much free bore.
What are the thoughts of the membership?
Thanks,
Doc
Re: .45 / .410 Accuracy [message #36978 is a reply to message #36976] Fri, 20 February 2015 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
If I had 1 of the 45-410 barrels it would be to shoot the shot shell, not the 45. I would buy a 45 colt barrel to shoot it more accurately.
Mike
Re: .45 / .410 Accuracy [message #36986 is a reply to message #36978] Sat, 21 February 2015 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

Lepcur is right. If you want the 45/410, you should want it for the 410 capability. The 45 is not very accurate in that barrel. The 410 will be a hoot though.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: .45 / .410 Accuracy [message #36987 is a reply to message #36986] Sat, 21 February 2015 11:20 Go to previous message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Doc,
Since you mentioned 7 mag trade, unless you're talking about the 7 super mag in the contender barrel selection, you're most likely talking about the encore version. That likely means the VR barrel version, pistol. The sights aren't worth a Sh!t for shooting 45 Colt, no windage or elevation adjustment. If you were talking the contender, you may have a prayer with the oldest octagon barrel version with the external choke. The choke don't help the 45, have to remove it anyway, however, it at least had a real rear sight that was half-ass decent. The earliest VR version was somewhat adjustable, both front and rear so you had some semblance of adjustability while shooting the 45 Colt. the latest version has just a bead front, and a non adjustable rear "buckhorn", other than maybe tapping right or left, but NO vertical adjustment. Consider the 45-410's as almost "toys", sources for simple amusement, but not serious hunting use.
These things are pretty much hyped up as a camp/survivasl "tool, but quite seriously, you'd really have better odds of actually bagging something like a squirrel or grouse with a 22lr barrel that's a lot quieter, and a ton more accurate, provided it's motion-less. If you plan on using the 45 colt for big game, do yourself a favor and get a REAL 45 colt barrel, certainly a lot more ethical a choice for any serious big-game hunting. defensively up close and personal, yeah, that 45 with personal defense loads will serve well, but then so will a 1911a1 with a full magazine, in case there's two or more bad guys lurking in your house at 2 AM.
Previous Topic: Encore barrels
Next Topic: 12 Gauge Turkey barrel
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 22:56:16 EDT 2024