Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Misfires & headspace issues? (T/C Misfires & headspace issues?)
Misfires & headspace issues? [message #4732] Mon, 25 April 2011 00:32 Go to next message
10mm is currently offline  10mm
Forum Newbie
Could I bother you all with the question, are the T/C Contenders, G2's and Encores as prone to misfires & headspace issues as Mike Bellm's states on his website?

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=188

[Updated on: Mon, 25 April 2011 00:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Misfires & headspace issues? [message #4749 is a reply to message #4732] Mon, 25 April 2011 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nlopez13619 is currently offline  nlopez13619
Novice Contributor
headspace issues yes, misfires no. You have a rifle that is two pieces made separately. The headspace is from the back of the case to the face of the frame where the firing pin is located. Since the barrel and frame aren't matched there is going to be a gap between the barrel and frame. Anything over .004 is excess, I bet most peoples Encores have at least that much gap. Have you ever looked at what .004 is, its not much. It's easy to correct you just back off your full length sizing die so that a case sticks out the chamber what ever distance your gap is minus .001-.003. Mike Bellm is kinda shady if you ask me. If you look at his website he says he no longer does barrel work, but encourages people to send him barrels so he can charge $50 to send it to someone else to work on. Then he talks about TC barrels as though they are junk. Okay my 6.5x55 TC barrel can shoot sub-moa all day like 0.5-0.8". Then he turns around and pushes bergara junk. You remember when everyone was out of stock with Begara's, it wasn't because of the demand, it was because of major issues with bad crowning and extractors and barrel lugs being too long and damaging peoples frames. I talked to a sales rep for an online store and he told me this personally. I was an idiot and bought one that I found online. Sure enough, crown looks like it was cut with a chisel and my extractor is way too long.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 April 2011 23:18]

Re: Misfires & headspace issues? [message #4770 is a reply to message #4749] Wed, 27 April 2011 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
10mm is currently offline  10mm
Forum Newbie
Thank you N that was what I suspected about him. I appreciate your going into detail for me. I am happy with my G2 and if you read his site you wonder how the heck these things even last as long as they do without any issues. I also had contenders in the past with no issues either but got rid of them for the simple reason that if you decided not to take a shot and wanted to let the hammer down, you would have to break open the breech before the hammer would cock again. They fixed that with the G2 and I'm loving it.
Thanks again,
Ron.
Re: Misfires & headspace issues? [message #4955 is a reply to message #4770] Fri, 13 May 2011 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
randallmeathunter is currently offline  randallmeathunter
Forum Newbie
I have 3 barrels for my Contender and had the same problems with my 30-30 and my 7-30, I have a 223 and no problems with it. I reload for all of them and could not figure out why I had so many misfires. I was useing CCI primers in the 30-30 and 7-30 and I was useing Federal primers in the 223 and that was my problem, a freind told me CCI primers are made out of a hard steal and are harder to set off. I used CCI primers for years in all my rifles and never had a problem I like them but they did'nt like the contender so I bought Federal large rifle primers and have not hade a misfire since. I don't know if you are reloading or buying your shells but if reloading try switching primers it worked for me!
Re: Misfires & headspace issues? [message #6120 is a reply to message #4955] Thu, 22 September 2011 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jglocke is currently offline  jglocke
Forum Newbie
Does any of these issues apply to factory loads?

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2011 09:57]

Re: Misfires & headspace issues? [message #6124 is a reply to message #6120] Thu, 22 September 2011 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
jglocke wrote on Thu, 22 September 2011 09:38
Does any of these issues apply to factory loads?

Absolutely. If you have an incorrectly headspaced barrel then it will certainly affect factory loads. The easiest to correct is one that is under-spaced. You use a chamber reamer and cut the cartridge chamber just enough to allow the brass to seat down deeper. The harder problem is the excessive headspace.
Re: Misfires & headspace issues? [message #6172 is a reply to message #6124] Sun, 25 September 2011 19:57 Go to previous message
jglocke is currently offline  jglocke
Forum Newbie
You would think after paying $700 plus dollars for this rifle that there would not be this kind of an issue. Lucky for me I have not encounteres this problem. Thanks for the heads up on this issue..
Previous Topic: Misfires
Next Topic: Choke tubes for 12ga Turkey - to use SLUGS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 01:07:50 EDT 2024