Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » Starting reloading - need equipment advice
Starting reloading - need equipment advice [message #5055] Mon, 23 May 2011 09:41 Go to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
OK - I've read the Lyman reloading manual, and plan to read it yet again before jumping into loading my own. However, the one thing that an impartial manual won't give you is a recommendation for what equipment will serve me best. Initially, I was going to just order a "all in one kit" - the Lee Challenger Breech Lock anniversary kit. But after reading the Lyman manual, I am rethinking that decision.

I'm contemplating buying a Turret type press, as it seems to be the best for my use. I like the idea of buying extra turrets, setting my dies, and leaving them be. Change turrets instead of individual dies. I think this is even better than the single bushing changeout system of ones like the Lee I mentioned. However.... I've never used either, so I don't know.

Also kinda leaning towards a digital grain scale vice the balance beam type that comes standard in most kits. Same for the calipers. Digital seems like the way to go.

Not looking to spend a fortune, but not looking for the cheap way out either. Basically looking for a quality group of reloading tools that will not need to be changed once I "get more experience". I'd rather buy quality up front.

I had a buddy once answer this question with "just buy RCBS". That's not what I'm looking for. I welcome brand recommendations, but would appreciate model likes / dislikes.

I plan to reload .380, 9mm, .40, .38sp, .357 mag, .357 max, .270, 7mm-08, .308 and .30-30.

Thanks
All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Starting reloading - need equipment advice [message #5060 is a reply to message #5055] Mon, 23 May 2011 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
All of this gets into personal preference. All of the big names make good equipment - Period! I like Lee, Hornady, and Redding. I don't like RCBS. I just don't like the feel and look (preferences), but that being said I own more RCBS dies now than the others.

If cost is an object then you can't beat Lee (check out their specials for new reloaders). It's good quality without some of the extra exterior finishing steps to make it look pretty. Redding puts some nice finishing touches on their dies, so if I can find them at a good price they're what I buy. I started with Hornady, always liked them, always will.

I like my digital scale, hands down. You lose (so some say) a little precision, but you save tons more time.

If you're going to get serious about it, then instead of buying a digital scale and a powder diespenser, take a look at the RCBS chargemaster. If you're going to buy a good scale and a good dispenser, then for a few bucks more you can get this. I've read that PACT has done some major upgrades to theirs as well.

Just my opinion

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Mon, 23 May 2011 14:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Starting reloading - need equipment advice [message #5066 is a reply to message #5060] Tue, 24 May 2011 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nlopez13619 is currently offline  nlopez13619
Novice Contributor
don't buy a kit, the two most important items you have to spend money on are a good scale and a good trimmer. I don't recommend turret presses, more expensive and you have more things going on with them, bigger chance to make a mistake. Here are my recommendations; A Lee Breech Lock Classic Cast press (heavy duty, no slop) then get the quick change bushings that allow you to change dies rapidly, you could get two presses one for seating and another for sizing if you wanted to, it'd be the same as a turret press with turrets and it would produce better ammo. Buy RCBS or Redding dies, Lee dies suck (they are poorly finished and don't allow for precise adjustments like the decaping pin) Don't waste time on neck sizing dies, you can adjust the full-length die to not oversize the case, putting less stress on the brass and making a straighter case. Eventually you have to size neck-sized ammo anyway and sometimes neck-sizing alone can cause problems. If you buy a digital scale or any scale don't go cheap and don't go Lyman, you'll be throwing your money away. A good powder measure like a Dillon will save you time, but if you got the money, that RCBS thing that other guy recommended is a good product. I recommend the LE Wilson Case trimmer, it is the best trimmer there is. You need a stand (they make one for it) or a vice, you have to buy individual case holder for each cartridge but other trimmers you have to buy collets and pilots and the ones that come with them like Lymans are junk. I'm telling you trimming is the worst part of reloading, it can take forever. Inconsistent trim lengths and uneven cutting will seriously affect accuracy. The Wilson trimmer is easy to set up, trims perfectly, and very fast. You need a decent deburring/chamfering tool, dial calipers, get a good primer pocket cleaner, kinetic bullet puller (for when you make a bunch of crappy loads and don't want to waste the components), and case neck brushes. Buy your stuff from Graf and Sons, the prices are better or comparable to everyone else, but the best part is the $4.00 UPS shipping for your entire order which save you a bunch.
Here is a good series of videos to watch for tips:
< http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/05/sinclair-intl-re leases-8-part-series-of-reloading-videos/>

[Updated on: Tue, 24 May 2011 00:51]

Re: Starting reloading - need equipment advice [message #5069 is a reply to message #5060] Tue, 24 May 2011 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Thanks for the replies.

Crubear,
Which digital scale do you have? I didn't realize the digitals would be less accurate. I was reading part of the reloading manual that was talking about the balance beam type scales getting thrown off by objects around the workbench. Although I plan of keeping my bench clear of anything other than my reloading equipment for the caliber I'm reloading, that still got my attention. I had looked into the Chargemaster. I'm not quite getting that "into" this, although I may buy it anyway. Starting as a hobby and a way to save money on the hundreds of rounds of 9mm and .40 I go through at the range. That's getting quite expensive.

As far as dies, Hornady was the only company that listed a .357 Max. Others had the .38spc and .357 Mag, but not the Max. I'm still looking though.

Thanks for the recommendations. Exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.

Nlopez,
Great info and insight into the Lee Breech Lock over a turret press. I like your two press idea. I might have to do that. I'll check out your recommended dealer and the link when I get home today. I'm on travel and it's harder to navigate on an iPhone vice a computer.

All the best,
Glenn

Re: Starting reloading - need equipment advice [message #5070 is a reply to message #5055] Tue, 24 May 2011 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sierra Ghost Hunter
Glenn,
Go with the balance beam and a powder trickler for accurate loads. I have both and the digital was a waste of money. It is a ballpark scale. The Hornady balance scale is very fast and easy to use. The magnetic field slows the tipping way down and speeds up the reading.
As far as a press, the best is the RCBS Rock Chucker but I am also partial to the older Hornady "Pacific" single press that I used to have.
The powder measure that I prefer is the Hornady with the micrometer over the RCBS and I do have both.
I prefer the Hornady dies for pistol and the RCBS for necked rifle. Use the Hornady slick spray for resizing vs the goo lube from RCBS and definitely go with the titanium nitride resizing die for pistol for lubeless resizing.
When it comes to cleaning cases, I used to use a tumbler and media but have recently switched to the ultrasonic tank that I bought at Harbor Freight and Hornady's solution for their ultrasonic cleaner. It is much faster and does a nicer and far better job than tumbling.
Re: Starting reloading - need equipment advice [message #5071 is a reply to message #5070] Tue, 24 May 2011 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Cool. Good info. I was wondering about the case cleaning equipment and hadn't cconsidered the ultrasonic until now. What do you like about it? Does the solution dry quickly and completely vs the media residue? Speaking of media, if I was to get a tumbler instead, is there one type that is preferred over the other? I noticed Lyman had two different kinds - a crushed walnut and a corn cob media. The other brands didn't really specify what it was - just "media".
All the best,
Glenn

Re: Starting reloading - need equipment advice [message #5073 is a reply to message #5071] Tue, 24 May 2011 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
I have a PACT scale (from waayy back), and it will drift a couple points if I'm not paying attention. Newer versions have reduced this by a lot. I don't load to shoot minute of bacteria, so I accept the small variations my RCBS powder measure gives. I don't weigh every charge either, but do weigh every 5 to 10 (with the digital scale I put the case on and tare it to zero, then when I get to the empty slot throw a powder charge and check). No matter which way you go, it works best to have the scale off the table. The firmer it is, the better.

I do have the Micormeter accessory for the RCBS, since I seldom go back to the same charge I really don't need it (helps to quickly get you back to a charge if you keep good notes though). Not sure if it still does, but the book ABCs of Reloading (mine is by Dean Grennell) had some outstanding information for reloading. Some of the best tips for a powder measure were in this. The Lee Reloading manual is another good source.

You can find some good formulas for home made ultrasonic cleaner on some of the shooting forums (6mmBR, I think), I like the idea of ultrasonic though. No crud on the cases and you can clean sized cases. Hmmmm. The different media has different purposes - walnut is real good for the initial cleaning before resizing, and then corn cobb for polishing them after sizing (and get the lube off). A little case shine (I got mine from Midway) goes a long way and gives them that just new look.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Starting reloading - need equipment advice [message #5087 is a reply to message #5071] Wed, 25 May 2011 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sierra Ghost Hunter
The ultrasonic cleaning gets everything cleaner than the tumbler could ever think about. I pull the cases and rinse them in distilled water and then set them in a case rack upside down to dry over a small fan. I handle everything with latex gloves and all my brass looks factory new right down to the base inside the case. They recommend distilled water to avoid water spots.
I resize all my brass and then do all the case prep before doing the cleaning so that I go straight into priming and loading. And yes, I do weigh ALL my rifle round loads for consistency and accuracy. It is not like I am load 500 rounds at a time even though I have at least that many loaded in any particular caliber. For my pistol rounds I measure every 5-10 because they are for combat range shooting, not bench rest accuracy. My Hornady powder measure consistently throws powder loads that are within 1/10 of a grain religiously with rifle powder and 100% accurate with the pistol powder that I use (Hodgdon Clays for my 40 and Universal for my 357).
BTW I bought my ultrasonic cleaner tank at harbor freight for somrthing in the neighborhood of $40 versus the big money that Hornady wants and it works just fine with their cleaner.

[Updated on: Wed, 25 May 2011 01:04]

Re: Starting reloading - need equipment advice [message #5124 is a reply to message #5087] Sun, 29 May 2011 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Whew! I decided to purchase the tools this payday, so the minute my paycheck hit, I went to the Graf and Sons website. Most of the pieces recommended must be very popular, because just about everything I really wanted was out of stock. I'd rather not order piece by piece and get raped on several shipping charges, but I may have to do that in order to get what I need. Thank you all very much for the great advice and guidance. I have a good shopping list now, and I'm anxious to get the ball rolling on this.

All the best,
Glenn

Re: Starting reloading - need equipment advice [message #5126 is a reply to message #5124] Sun, 29 May 2011 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
65465 Mo is currently offline  65465 Mo
Forum Newbie
Try midshootersupply.com
They have good price.
Re: Starting reloading - need equipment advice [message #6780 is a reply to message #5126] Thu, 17 November 2011 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BloodGroove4570 is currently offline  BloodGroove4570
Novice Contributor
This is a Great post seeing how i am in the same boat "want to get into reloading", Just about ready to start purchasing components but not exactly sure what to buy. I will want to reload 45-70, 7MM-08 300 win mag.
Please keep this going, alot of good info.

Thanks alot
Re: Starting reloading - need equipment advice [message #6785 is a reply to message #6780] Fri, 18 November 2011 08:40 Go to previous message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
For rifle ammmo reloading, those case gauges (like the Wilson) where you can drop it in and instantly see if your shoulder needs bumping are great.
Previous Topic: Looking for a re-load for 25-06 Rifle
Next Topic: wildcat cartridge Help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 03:09:12 EDT 2024