Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Which custom barrel
Re: Which custom barrel [message #8347 is a reply to message #8345] Tue, 24 January 2012 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
iraqimedic wrote on Tue, 24 January 2012 06:34
Pass on the MGM barrel, get the Bullberry or the SSK industries barrel. You will be happier in the long run. I promise!

Ok... Why?
All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Which custom barrel [message #8357 is a reply to message #8347] Tue, 24 January 2012 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MongooseV8 is currently offline  MongooseV8
Novice Contributor
I'm on my fourth MGM barrel only cause I keep changing my mind haha. Their work is top notch and all barrels I've had are rediculously accurate. Half moa has been my experience so far. The other makers are great as well I'm sure, but I've never had any of their barrels.

Also pillar bedding with washers has been working for me, but ymmv!
Re: Which custom barrel [message #8364 is a reply to message #8347] Tue, 24 January 2012 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iraqimedic
Forum Newbie
Basically the barrels seem to be of the quality you might expect of the brand names provided and available, but the fittings and the workmanship vary greatly. The price is cheap and the latest build took 16+ weeks and a replacement barrel after the first one came in mis-configured. Second one had locking issues that could present a safety issue and the machinist had a less than professional attitude. I am of the idea now that I will take my chances with custom barrel producers like Bullberry and SSK because they are more experienced. Not saying MGM is out of the question as I do have a good barrel from them but I will not be buying any more for a while with the issues and the excuses. I'm not a person that thrives on drama, but I do expect quality each and every time I have a barrel custom built and anything less would just not be prudent on my part.

Cheers,

James

I spent most of my money on guns, motorcycles, and beer. The rest I just wasted.
Re: Which custom barrel [message #8480 is a reply to message #8345] Sun, 29 January 2012 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sam77757 is currently offline  sam77757
Novice Contributor

Pass on the MGM barrel, get the Bullberry or the SSK industries barrel. You will be happier in the long run. I promise!

I disagree.. i love my MGM barrels. and plan on a couple more by the end of summer.
Re: Which custom barrel [message #8576 is a reply to message #8480] Wed, 01 February 2012 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmkt is currently offline  mmkt
I'd pass on MGM as well. The can and have produced some good barrels. Also some bad barrels and don't stand behind their guarantee if you do get a bad one. I finally gave up on them after 4 bad barrels, I guess I stayed with them as long as I did because I ordered a lot of barrels previously with few issues and those that weren't right were fixed or replaced quickly, no more. Check out the Better Business Bureau on them, F rating, as low as you can get. They're not a member of the BBB and from personal experience won't even reply to inquiries from the BBB about complaints. Personally I'd go with Bullberry or SSK depending upon who has the chambering and options you want. No personal experience with Brown barrels but have heard to many bad things about them ( someone said MGM makes the barrels for them ? Just what I heard...........
Re: Which custom barrel [message #8871 is a reply to message #8480] Mon, 13 February 2012 12:00 Go to previous message
iraqimedic
Forum Newbie
sam77757 wrote on Sun, 29 January 2012 14:18

I disagree.. i love my MGM barrels. and plan on a couple more by the end of summer.

I have one good barrel that I got from MGM a couple of years ago. I wouldn't trade it for anything but it is not the barrels that are the problem. They are all standard barrels from reputable barrel makers such as Greenmountain and Schilen. The actual barrels are what they are but the workmanship and gunsmithing that goes on to make them a finished product is the issue. Also, one of their machinists is about as poor as they come where communications is concerned and he is a bit temperamental when criticized (good or bad) and when asked direct questions he might or might not get back to you in a few days or a few weeks or not at all?? Over all I think it is more the customer service and the actual gunsmithing I have issues with.

The last build my Dad and I did was a set of two barrels. The first thing we did was communicate that the caliber and the rate of twist would be doable. Then we sent a word document with all the details on it. After this we ordered the barrels and sent the payments. 5 weeks later they were not even started on the barrels and then had to order a new reamer so they say. We said no worries because we wanted a proper professional job, at least that explanation stood to reason. Then we called again and there were other delays and it seemed like no one had a clue and everyone had a different answer as to the reason behind the delays. At 11 weeks we finally got the barrels after several more calls regarding the whereabouts of the barrels and when they would be shipped. They had set the super 14 barrels up for super 16 forearms and all of our barrels we both already have are on super 14 format?? They agreed to take them back and rebuild the barrels. Several communications later and 6 more weeks we had the barrels and they would not lock with the frames. After several further communications some not so nice after the continual back and forth, I requested a full refund due to safety issues and the fact I did not want less than what was agreed. The machinist seemed nice at first but then got a bit irate and basically stated there was no way we could get a refund. He expected us to settle for second best and I told him that would not work and I would not settle for less than what I ordered especially from a custom build.

Bottom line, I won't be dealing with MGM until their company and personnel have had time to mature and work out the small outfit growing pains.

I spent most of my money on guns, motorcycles, and beer. The rest I just wasted.
Previous Topic: 30-40 krag handloads
Next Topic: Barrel Wall Thickness
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 01:50:35 EDT 2024