Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Conicals for Pro Hunter ML
Conicals for Pro Hunter ML [message #37884] Mon, 23 March 2015 12:16 Go to next message
Wisconsinvette is currently offline  Wisconsinvette
Forum Newbie
Wondering what conicals you guys with a .50 Pro Hunter have had good groups with?
Re: Conicals for Pro Hunter ML [message #37885 is a reply to message #37884] Mon, 23 March 2015 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
I've always thought that the T/C barrels were optimized for sabots. Are you planning on shooting an unsabboted conical in it? I really haven't heard of anybody doing that (although there are lots of thinks I don't know - so that wouldn't be a surprise).
Re: Conicals for Pro Hunter ML [message #37899 is a reply to message #37885] Wed, 25 March 2015 08:48 Go to previous message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
I have run Buffalo Bullet pre-lubed conicals down the bore of my Encore mag barrel and my New Englander. They were the rage before Sabots were legal to hunt with. Their accuracy is dependent on your choice of powders. I use Pyrodex FFF in the Encore, and a light load 80grs of pistol grade Pyrodex in the New Englander. Both produce good groups out to 70 yrds. Past that the heavy bullet starts to tumble, and is not to great for a humane kill. This is just my experience with them. Now for the drawback! They will kick like a mule on both ends. The soft lead skirt seals all to well when fired. There were other brands that I did not try. I always used a hot nipple on the New Englander for a more consistent group. The Encore with its 209 primer was more than enough for solid ignition. At 50 yrds there is not to many critters that would not go down with a shot to the vitals area. Hope this helps.
Rick
By the way torching one off at day break or late evening is a hoot. Smoke, sparks, flame etc.

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Previous Topic: 209 x 50 15" SST
Next Topic: stainless steel -vs- Weather Shield
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 09:17:52 EDT 2024