Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Looking for pointers on pistol decisions (Encore vs Contender, old vs new, Blue vs SS, etc) (Question about pistol for 30-06 and .223/5.56. Trying to learn about the product line before buying.)
Looking for pointers on pistol decisions (Encore vs Contender, old vs new, Blue vs SS, etc) [message #38015] Tue, 31 March 2015 16:39 Go to next message
Big_Blue is currently offline  Big_Blue
Forum Newbie
I'm about to buy my first T/C pistol and wanted to get some answers or links to posts from y'all to help me make the right decision.

My objectives:
- I'm only currently only interested in 30-06 and .223/5.56 cartridges.
- I'm currently only interested in the pistol form factor.
- I only shoot targets, so hunting and weather issues are not factors for me.
- I might decide at a later date to also shoot BP, but today I have other guns for that.

I've poked around the T/C web site, I've searched this forum for compatibility issues, and I've scanned this sub-forum back to October last year. Here's my questions:

1. Is it true, that my only option for both 30-06 and .223/5.56 is Encore?
2. Are there compatibility issues between old and new models, or can I buy whatever deal comes along and be confident that the parts will match? I saw this thread ( http://www.encoreclassifieds.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&g oto=25916&&srch=locking+lug#msg_25916) which makes me think there are either compatibility issues, or QA issues I need to be aware of.
3. Does it make a difference whether I buy blued finish or stainless, rubber or walnut, etc?
4. Do different barrels require different forends?
5. Some of the threads referenced G1 and G2. I assume they're referring to generation 1 and generation 2 models. This is somewhat related to question #2 above on compatibility, but do the G1/G2 labels apply to all T/C pistols, or only the Contenders?

I guess what I'm looking for is a primer on T/C.

[Updated on: Tue, 31 March 2015 17:12] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Looking for pointers on pistol decisions (Encore vs Contender, old vs new, Blue vs SS, etc) [message #38016 is a reply to message #38015] Tue, 31 March 2015 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
I don't know about the .223 but for 30-06, yes Encore only. WAY too much pressure for a Contender to safely handle. As to the post on locking lugs, there is no compatability issue - just a design change. Blue or stainless, rubber or walnut is totally up to your tastes. You can mix and match to your heart's content. Yes, some barrels will require a different forend. Notably, bull barrels require a different forend than thin barrels. The G1/G2 thing is unique to Contenders.

For a primer, start going through reading all the back posts. By the time you've gone back a year or so you'll pretty much have most of it figured out.

One more thing. If you've never shot a 30-06 in a pistol configuration you'd best do so before spending money on one. In addition to recoil, you'd better like huge muzzle flash and blast. There are much better choices if you want to launch a heavier bullet longer distances.

[Updated on: Tue, 31 March 2015 17:13] by Moderator

Re: Looking for pointers on pistol decisions (Encore vs Contender, old vs new, Blue vs SS, etc) [message #38018 is a reply to message #38016] Tue, 31 March 2015 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wwkmag is currently offline  wwkmag

The 30-06 encore pistol barrel is a real sweetheart to shoot. With 150 grain bullets it is very manageable and mine is very accurate. If you can shoot a 44 magnum pistol, you can shoot the 30-06 pistol.

[Updated on: Tue, 31 March 2015 17:16] by Moderator

Re: Looking for pointers on pistol decisions (Encore vs Contender, old vs new, Blue vs SS, etc) [message #38030 is a reply to message #38018] Wed, 01 April 2015 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
1. To only have one frame for both rounds: Encore

2. There are no compatability issues with the Encore (split bolts are a Contender thing). All versions of the Encore (Encore, Pro-Hunter, Endeavor) work with all Encore barrels.

3. Since you're only shooting targets finish won't matter.

4. Rifles take one forend, BP another, and katahdin another. Pistols all use the same one.

5. G1 and G2 are Contender only.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Looking for pointers on pistol decisions (Encore vs Contender, old vs new, Blue vs SS, etc) [message #38031 is a reply to message #38030] Wed, 01 April 2015 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
QA issues? Not really. You could run into a bad barrel, but S&W seems to be willing to admit the error and replace the barrel.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Looking for pointers on pistol decisions (Encore vs Contender, old vs new, Blue vs SS, etc) [message #38051 is a reply to message #38031] Thu, 02 April 2015 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
If you are looking at mainly target shooting, the 30-06 is going to get old real quick in a shooting session. The .223 or one of the traditional contender calibers will be much more pleasant for extended shooting sessions (not to mention much cheaper to reload). The g1 contender does have a better trigger and is easier to adjust than either the Encore or G2. The contender and G2 are also a good bit lighter than the encore. I purchased the encore first and then got a G1 later and the G1 has become my favorite to shoot at targets. I shoot it in .223, 7-30 waters, 7mm tcu. The latter 2 require you to be a reloader. I do however recommend if you get a G1, be sure it is an easy open model or one been converted. Easy open has the break open lever pivot pin above the trigger, the non-easy open has it at the front of the action. I had a .223 pistol barrel for the encore, but then found a good deal on one for the contender so I sold the .223 encore barrel as they both shot just as well. However, if you want both of those calibers in one setup, you will have to go with the encore. I do have a .270 & 7mm-08 pistol barrels for the encore and never shoot them. The 7-30 works great on deer and is more of a pleasure to shoot. My hunting is limited to 100 yards currently and if I was needing to stretch it out, I would carry the .270 encore. The .270 pistol is the most accurate barrel in my encore. Even better than the rifle barrels I have tried on it.

Dangit, I am ramblin' again. I hope I didn't muddy up the waters for you.

[Updated on: Thu, 02 April 2015 20:02] by Moderator

Re: Looking for pointers on pistol decisions (Encore vs Contender, old vs new, Blue vs SS, etc) [message #38055 is a reply to message #38051] Thu, 02 April 2015 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gemihur is currently offline  gemihur
Forum Regular
Just hold each of them and you won't have to ask anyone anything. Carry one of each around for about six hours and then tell me which one you rather hunt with.
The contender feels like it belongs in your hand. The encore feels like it needs to lose some weight.
The contender can do about 80% of what the encore can using commercial chamberings and with the wildcatting techniques employed by Bellm, SSK, MGM, VV, and if you're brave Reeder you can achieve more than what the humble contender was designed to do.
I won't go into the pressure dynamics that must be kept as a reference but don't you consider ANY chamber's tolerance when reloading anyway?
Spend some time with each, and you'll marry the 'little sister'. She's prettier.
Jimmy

Think twice...shoot once.
Re: Looking for pointers on pistol decisions (Encore vs Contender, old vs new, Blue vs SS, etc) [message #38079 is a reply to message #38055] Sun, 05 April 2015 09:43 Go to previous message
gemihur is currently offline  gemihur
Forum Regular
If you're heart is set on the '06, you've already relegated yourself to the Encore.
If you'd be satisfied with nearly comparable ballistics of the 308 win, you could consider reloading for the 308 Bellm and utilize the Contender.
All variations of the 5.56 & .223 are digestible in the Contender.

Think twice...shoot once.
Previous Topic: stainless steel -vs- Weather Shield
Next Topic: Contender - Talley or DNZ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 04:17:04 EDT 2024