Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » Contender Barrel Forearm Dovetail Cut
Contender Barrel Forearm Dovetail Cut [message #38028] Wed, 01 April 2015 09:25 Go to next message
Citrusdude is currently offline  Citrusdude
Forum Newbie
I need to cut an additional dovetail slot on the underside of the barrel to allow the Pachmayr adapter to be used with the Pachmayr forearm. Does anyone know the angle of the dovetail cut, or have a schematic? Thanks,

Steve
Re: Contender Barrel Forearm Dovetail Cut [message #38029 is a reply to message #38028] Wed, 01 April 2015 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
The only barrels with a single dovetail cut are 10". There's a Pachy adapter that uses just that one dovetail cut. The single adapter would be cheaper than having a barrel machined.
Jim
Re: Contender Barrel Forearm Dovetail Cut [message #38032 is a reply to message #38029] Wed, 01 April 2015 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
You can also use the longer connector with just one screw (it works, that's how I did it)

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Contender Barrel Forearm Dovetail Cut [message #38033 is a reply to message #38032] Wed, 01 April 2015 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Thanks for the input. One of my barrels appears to have been a longer rifle barrel that has been cut down, and the spacing between the dovetails is too wide. This barrel will have to be cut regardless. One of the barrels is 10", so I may go the shorter adapter. Thanks.

Steve
Re: Contender Barrel Forearm Dovetail Cut [message #38034 is a reply to message #38032] Wed, 01 April 2015 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
I've seen the other way too, short one with just one screw on 14's with 2 screws, just left the front screw out. Just have to use the rear screw.
Jim
Re: Contender Barrel Forearm Dovetail Cut [message #38035 is a reply to message #38034] Wed, 01 April 2015 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
16 or 21 That was shortened? Those are tapered (cept the later 16 45-70). 23's are full bulls and the carbine (16/21/23) have a different spacing than 14's, wider (cept the bull 45-70 16). there's not enough room to cut another dovetail behind the carbine front one, you'll end up with one big long dovetail slot. I don't think Pachy ever made a carbine forend. 16's were pistol barrels and T/C had a brainfart when they decided to taper the barrels. Patterned it after the 21 which came out 2 years earlier, Instead of "lengthening" the 14 to 16. made an orphan out of them, with a pistol grip and rifle forend. MANY years later switched to 23's in full bull (needing yet another forend).
Jim
Re: Contender Barrel Forearm Dovetail Cut [message #38036 is a reply to message #38035] Wed, 01 April 2015 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
We haven't run it out on the mill yet, but using a caliper, looks like we can fit it in if we leave the existing dovetail in place to give reinforcement behind it. We will end up grinding off the threads to get down to barrel height to allow the forearm to fit. Yes it is a pain to do this, but it is a 375 JDJ barrel and don't want the forearm flying off while shooting the darn thing.

Steve
Re: Contender Barrel Forearm Dovetail Cut [message #38037 is a reply to message #38036] Wed, 01 April 2015 11:35 Go to previous message
Top Contributor
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Sad
Previous Topic: Adding pillars to forend
Next Topic: Bed the Encore Buttstock
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 07:22:19 EDT 2024