Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Contender - Talley or DNZ?
Contender - Talley or DNZ? [message #38041] Wed, 01 April 2015 18:27 Go to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I couldn't find either until today, but just discovered both are made. I have both brands on various Encore barrels, but not Contenders. Would like to hear from people who own either on a Contender pistol barrel. How much adjustment forward and back can the scope slide, or are they more like the TC duo-mounts that had hardly any movement adjustability?
All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Contender - Talley or DNZ? [message #38048 is a reply to message #38041] Thu, 02 April 2015 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Hmmm... Odd. I called both DNZ and Talley.

DNZ had one - 11101. Said it would fit "Contenders".

Talley, on the other hand, is claiming that theirs (940753) was designed to fit "only the G2", and that the radius is different on the original Contender barrels (which I told him I was pretty sure wasn't true - I think they are both .809" at the breech). But he said he "Can't guarantee that it will fit", so I went ahead and ordered two DNZ's from Optics Planet.

Now I get a notice from Optics Planet, telling me that my items aren't in stock, so it may take longer to ship.

Sign that I shouldn't have dealt with either one?

By the way, I found several places selling a Talley 940723, claiming it was the same. It's not. That one is for the Encore. That one DOES have a different barrel radius.

All the best,
Glenn

[Updated on: Thu, 02 April 2015 17:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Contender - Talley or DNZ? [message #38049 is a reply to message #38048] Thu, 02 April 2015 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Well... when it doubt - Call the Forum Sponsor (Haus of Arms) for great service! I have two of the Talley 940753 mounts on the way. Great customer service. Great return policy - he said if they don't fit, send them back. Can't get any better offer than that! Thanks Marty!

So... I'll be able to eventually (after my Optics Planet order finally ships) hold a comparison between the two. I'll post my findings.

All the best,
Glenn

Re: Contender - Talley or DNZ? [message #38050 is a reply to message #38049] Thu, 02 April 2015 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
after all that I hope the comparison doesn't end up, "no good", and "even worse". Sounds like both those outfits just believe what they read here, "I use my weavers on both contenders and encores, they "look the same" to me.

I did read where the one said theirs fits the G2 only. Now that "could have meant" wouldn't fit encores, dimensions, TCRs, ventures, Icons, etc. OR maybe they have an extension behind which may interfere with the frame IF they made a change there between the G-1 and G-2. I wouldn't know since I don't (and won't) have a G-2 to do a comparison with. If they did, it wouldn't matter as long as the scope base didn't go over the frame. More-or-less if the base extends beyond the back of the Barrel's breech. Some guys may have both a G-1 and G-2 and could clue us in on that.
Jim
Re: Contender - Talley or DNZ? [message #38090 is a reply to message #38050] Mon, 06 April 2015 18:48 Go to previous message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Haus of Arms delivered way faster than expected. Ordered Thursday afternoon. Here today. I already installed them on two of my barrels with these results:

1) 10" .30 Herrett - Fit very nice. The breech end has no gaps at all. You can't slide a piece of paper back there on either side. One odd thing about this mount - it has a flat spot at the very top of the arch that seems to run the full length of the mount. There is no "gap" on the arch on either side that touches the barrel, but there is a tunnel that runs the full length under the mount. The two sides of the arch have very nice contact in the area of the base that the 4 screws are. Measurement of the barrel at the breech is .809". The very front of the mounts ends where the barrel has tapered to .795". so there is an extremely thin gap. .007 if my math is correct (.014 total divided by two sides). 3 of 4 screws held it in tight, while the very front screw bottomed out before getting tight. A few hits with a fine file and it was no longer bottoming out, and was holding the front hole tightly against the barrel as well.

2) 14" 7TCU - An even better fit. At both the front and back of the mount, the barrel measures .809", so you can't slip anything in a gap nowhere on this base. Unfortunately, all 4 screws had to filed a bit for this one. Odd. But not a problem. Easy to do with a fine file and a few minutes work for a perfect tight fit.

One more...

3) I wanted to see what the 10" Octagon .30-30 barrel would look like with the Talley mount on it. Nasty. Since the short octagon barrels only have round areas in the immediate breech area, this mount quickly transitions off that area to a huge gap area where the Octagon portion is. Does it fit and hold tight in the rounded area? Yes it does. Does it look good on that barrel? Heck no. I wouldn't recommend it for that type of barrel. It just looks so out of place.

So... The first sets are on. Talley's on a .30 Herrett and 7TCU. I have a .357 Max on the way that I will mount a DNZ to and see how that fits. I'll update this post when everything gets here.

Then I just need to put some scopes in them. Very Happy

All the best,
Glenn

[Updated on: Mon, 06 April 2015 18:52]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Looking for pointers on pistol decisions (Encore vs Contender, old vs new, Blue vs SS, etc)
Next Topic: Getting what you ask for....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 08:46:00 EDT 2024