Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Product and Vendor Feedback » Whats going on at Burris ?? (Miffed)
Whats going on at Burris ?? [message #38447] Wed, 20 May 2015 17:38 Go to next message
pinecone is currently offline  pinecone
Does anyone know what is going on at Burris? I've always been a Burris fan, at least with the scopes I have on my rifles.

Bit of history I sent a fullfield II 1/75 X 6 (older one) in for what I thought would be a minor repair. I recieved a service # and was told of a 4-6 week wait time. (not unreasonable as long as they tell me,its my choice to wait or ask for it back). At the end of the 8th week I queried them and received an e-mail saying I was in line for repair but it would be 6-8 weeks. I was already at the end of the 8th week. Week 10 I E-mailed again. I was told they had issued a replacement order and a new scope would be sent to me that week. That was on a Tuesday. I'm into the 3rd week of that and haven't heard anything.

I would have liked advanced notice of what was wrong with my scope and while I appreciate the effort Burris is making I would have liked to have a bit of choice in the matter. Looking in their catalog I don't see anything that appeals to me. I guess never look a gift horse in the mouth !!

My question ? is this typical of Burris ?
Re: Whats going on at Burris ?? [message #38448 is a reply to message #38447] Wed, 20 May 2015 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Dang. I hope not. I just sent one in for repair that they received on the 7th. They said 6 to 8 weeks, putting me at July 2nd at the latest. Thats long enough. If mine can't be repaired, I sure hope I have some say-so in what they replace it with. They seemed very supportive and polite when I spoke with them on the phone before sending it in.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Whats going on at Burris ?? [message #38450 is a reply to message #38448] Wed, 20 May 2015 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
I called them and asked about an "odd" thread screw from some REAL OLD rings they discontinued at least 30 years ago. They didn't make them any more but she hunted around and found more than i needed in stainless. (rings were black). For me, they were better than not being able to use the rings. Within a week had well more than needed (just really needed 1), enough for 4 SETS of rings, at 4 screws/ring. NO CHARGE.
The were new old stock from Natchez, and one screw had rusted even tho the box had never been opened. Guessing a humid environment where they had these old suckers sitting. She was very nice and pretty knowledgeable about the rings, and dug around to find the right person to go to. I was quite impressed.
No experience with their rifle scopes, but i have a BUNCH of their pistol scopes dating back to the early 80's. several 7X, 3 10X, and a PILE of 3-9 and 2 3-12 pistol scopes. NEVER had a problem with a single one. akeep us posted, I;d like to see how this finally works out. if the scope has been deleted, they may not be able to replace it with the exact same "model", but should offer you a reasonably close one instead, even if it's a upgrade. 1.75-6? Curious, what was the "minor repair"?
Jim
Re: Whats going on at Burris ?? [message #38451 is a reply to message #38450] Wed, 20 May 2015 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello James, The repair was, it got to where it didn't want to focus on the higher powers. I thought maybe it was my old eyes but I had a couple of other guys try and focus it and it had a problem. I haven't used Burris service for probably 15+ years because nothing went wrong with them. The one I did send back then, was my fault and they still took care of it. Now that they are Steiner I hope they are not going to change. Thanks for the replies
icon8.gif  Re: Whats going on at Burris ?? [message #38501 is a reply to message #38447] Wed, 27 May 2015 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The saga continues, now they won't even respond to my E-mails. Don't know whats going on but my patience is about at its end.
Re: Whats going on at Burris ?? [message #38562 is a reply to message #38501] Mon, 08 June 2015 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Mine was returned to me today. Less than one month turn-around (May 7 received in their shop, and they mailed it back to me June 2). I got no email or info of any type regarding the repair. It just showed up on my doorstep this afternoon.

I had sent mine back to ensure it was still sealed, as the previous owner had dented it with sloppy scope ring work and I wanted to make sure the tube wasn't cracked from the sharp scope ring edge. There was also a piece of debris inside it that showed up as a brown spot on the lower left quadrant.

The report states:
Scope was re-centered, recoiled, and fog tested. Scope functions properly.
Removed internal debris. Resealed and recoiled to verify function. Scope functions properly.
SMALL DENT IN TUBE DOES NOT EFFECT FUNCTIONALITY OF SCOPE. DEBRIS. EXTERIOR DAMAGE. (They put in all caps).

So... I looked through it - the "debris" is no longer in the lower left hand quadrant. Instead, it's in the middle, and isn't as dark. Almost like there was debris on the glass, and they removed it, but left a smudge there. I'm not sending it back right now. Although it might bother me later, I'm just happy to have it back. I already put it on my .30 Herrett barrel.

Although I'm grateful that they took it back, tested it, and mailed it back to me with no charge, I can't say I'm 100% impressed with the outcome. I'm not upset at them. I'm just not as impressed as I thought I'd be.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Whats going on at Burris ?? [message #38651 is a reply to message #38562] Thu, 25 June 2015 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am finally squared up with Burris. I finally got fed up with E-mails and made a Phone call to Burris Customer Service. I was put in touch with a very nice young lady and when I explained my dilemma (17 weeks no scope repair or replacement) she said she would find out what was going on. She came back on the line promptly and said I was # 148 out of 150 waiting for replacement of that particular scope (Fullfield) and they would have a scope to me before Fall and that it should have been explained to me rather than "checks in the mail" E-mails. To make a short story longer, I told her that the wait was unacceptable. She said they had 3x9 timberline scopes available. I said that was acceptable, 3 days later I had one on my door step. I have never talked to anyone that has a timberline so I don't know how good they are. I do know in todays dollars it cost is more than my old fullfield. So I'm satisfied and pleased that at least one Burris Employee had the drive to solve the problem. "Faith Restored"
Re: Whats going on at Burris ?? [message #38685 is a reply to message #38651] Mon, 29 June 2015 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
I have found that e-mail is not a good way to communicate with most companies. I am guessing they have a person that sits there all day responding with canned answers to your questions. And may companies won't respond at all. That kind of makes it useless to have an e-mail address. They need to get with the times and use e-mail for what it is useful for. To me, e-mail is easier than waiting on hold, but no where near as productive.

Unfortunately, a simple phone call tends to get things done much faster.

Glad they made it right even though it took forever.
Re: Whats going on at Burris ?? [message #38951 is a reply to message #38685] Sat, 08 August 2015 08:57 Go to previous message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Some time ago I had purchased a Burris Contender base with a set of medium signature rings, the ones with the posi-align inserts. The base was my favorite, the one with the windage screws at the rear. When I got them, they had the +/- 5 MOA inserts in them. I've never had to "shim" a scope in Burris bases, so odds of me needing those inserts was pretty nil. Then you waste shots not knowing just which way the scope may be out of alignment, and if none would have been present, you're putting it out of alignment. Also had gotten a silver weaver base that had silver zee signature rings, luckily it had "0"'s.
Emailed Burris a few days ago and my "case" was assigned to "Ryan Johnson". Told him about my predicament. Asked if I could get a set of "0"'s. Got a reply back the next morning (it was late afternoon when I sent original email. Received a link to get a set from midway, like 40 bucks for a set. A set is a set for +/-5, 10 and 20; no "0". Wrote back, it wouldn't do me any good to get the set, would end up with two sets of "5's" and a set of 10's and 20's, and still not have any "0"'s which was the important one, the set I'd most likely need.
Yesterday via UPS I received a FULL set of inserts (sent UPS so I didn't have to drive to town 24 miles one way to fetch them). Full set was 0's, 5's 10's and 20's., the 0's don't even come in the 40.00 set. Also sent a Burris decal. NO charge!!!!!

Chances of me needing any other than that one set of 0's is miniscule. Both sets of 5's between the two sets of rings even lower. I emailed late Monday, and had the inserts friday, that is really quick, even considering the email exchange. Again I've received just superb customer support from Burris.
Previous Topic: Choate Machine - The quality has dropped
Next Topic: Ed's Contenders and Encores
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:51:08 EDT 2024