Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Photos » Home-built barrel rack
Home-built barrel rack [message #38547] Sat, 06 June 2015 21:30 Go to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I'm not the best when it comes to woodwork, but it's mostly because I'm hindered by "hobbyist" tools. I just can't afford the nicer stuff right now. Too many other money-eating projects. Very Happy So I make do, and use a lot of braces, fences, guides, and vices to make sure things come out semi-ok.

Anyway... Barrel racks are hard to find, and the ones I am finding, I'm just not 100% happy with. So I decided to build my own out of a piece of solid oak.

The oak is 12" long, 3/4" thick, and 1 3/4" wide. I used my band saw to cut inside the lines on the rectangles to a depth of .7", then cut slivers between the rectangle sides. I then popped out the slivers with a small chisel. I mounted my router to the bottom of my workbench and set the depth to 3/4" above the bench surface. I then screwed down a piece of wood to act as a guide (had to move it twice more for the middle and slots 2 & 4), and ran the rectangle cut out through the router with a 1/2" rabbet bit. I then set my table saw for a very shallow cut, a hair less than .3" from the front leading edge, and cut the slot on top for the pins to sit in. I then used a 1/4" drill bit in my drill press to make 4 mounting holes all the way through. Stained everything in red oak stain, and it's now sitting up drying.

I ain't no carpenter... but I'm pretty dang proud of how this one came out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/cajuntec/ContenderRack_zpsuith0gcr.jpg

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Home-built barrel rack [message #38551 is a reply to message #38547] Sun, 07 June 2015 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
yeah,yeah,yeah. 10 years down the road your son will spill the beans. He made it in his shop class at school. Sorry Glenn, couldn't resist the chance for a jab. It really looks great, actually super IMHO. Big slap on the back from this way. (No, not a GIBBS slap). BTW A person's best tool is the one inside his/her skull, and you used yours well.
Jim
Re: Home-built barrel rack [message #38552 is a reply to message #38551] Sun, 07 June 2015 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Thanks Jim! What I left out is that this wasn't my first try. I failed miserably at my first attempt. I had to build tools (a router table) to build the final product. Hand held router just didn't work well at all! But now I have a router table too, so that was a bonus on this build.
All the best,
Glenn

Re: Home-built barrel rack [message #38554 is a reply to message #38552] Sun, 07 June 2015 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Well... Dang. It isn't as perfect as I thought it turned out to be. I FORGOT that SOME Contender barrels have a STEPPED LUG. Dang it. They fit, but they are't straight up and down. They are at a slight angle, which is driving me crazy, so it's going to get modified for a few of those slots. But I'm going to do the mods by hand with a small file. I'm not risking all this hard work to a power tool again. One wrong move - wham! Broken. I'll do it by hand. Smile Still happy with the way it came out though!
All the best,
Glenn

Re: Home-built barrel rack [message #38555 is a reply to message #38554] Sun, 07 June 2015 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Thanks for including the boo-boo's and oops. We're all human so it can be expected. But we do learn by them. good luck with the minor mods, hopefully no major disaster.

Jim
Re: Home-built barrel rack [message #38559 is a reply to message #38555] Mon, 08 June 2015 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mule is currently offline  mule
Forum Newbie
wanted to jab too. but i knew if i were not careful this would be deleted too.
Re: Home-built barrel rack [message #38560 is a reply to message #38559] Mon, 08 June 2015 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
jabs are fine amongst friends as long as not profane, etc. It should be quite clear that it's in jest, and not a personal attack. You and I have shared many over the phone on several if not many occasions.

Jim
Re: Home-built barrel rack [message #38563 is a reply to message #38560] Mon, 08 June 2015 23:05 Go to previous message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
jamesgammel wrote on Mon, 08 June 2015 19:45
jabs are fine amongst friends as long as not profane, etc. It should be quite clear that it's in jest, and not a personal attack. You and I have shared many over the phone on several if not many occasions.
Jim

Yep. Fully agree.
All the best,
Glenn

Previous Topic: 45/70 cape buffalo
Next Topic: Range Trip
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Oct 07 08:55:16 EDT 2022