Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » accuracy (barrel length)
accuracy [message #5397] Mon, 04 July 2011 20:00 Go to next message
admin100 is currently offline  admin100
Novice Contributor
Hi guys, i spent alot of time shooting this weekend, different calibers and different barrel lengths. i have a 15in 25-06 that is a tack driver and a 28in 280rem also along with 26in 308win,my problem is with my 24in 22-250,i have tried many different loads and combinations. i have people telling me to avoid the 24in barrels. looking to pick your brains. thanks Paul
Re: accuracy [message #5398 is a reply to message #5397] Mon, 04 July 2011 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I have three 24" barrels - a 7mm-08, a .308, and a .357 Maximum. Mine all shoot better than I can, and I shoot pretty dang good for an older out-of-shape guy. Ha! It's not 24" barrels in general, and I doubt if it's really the barrel length that is causing your accuracy problems with that particular barrel.

Who told you to avoid 24" barrels, and did they say why? If they did, do they have proof to back up their claim? I'm sure if there was a definite problem with 24" barrels in general, T/C and others would not have adopted that length as one of their "standard" barrel lengths.

Are you a member of AmmoGuide? I am not a professional by any means, and I just recently started reloading, but it's helped me determine what I want to shoot in my firearms. For the 22-250, it recommends a 1 in 14" twist rate. Of all the barrel lengths you can choose from on the AmmoGuide site, the 24" barrel has the greatest number of loads listed (58 loads). Next is a 22" barrel, which has 40 loads listed. The 26" barrel has 23 loads listed, and the 28" barrel option has only one load listed. Just for this reason alone (the amount of information pertaining to shooting .22-250 from a 24" barrel), I don't think it's barrel length.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: accuracy [message #5404 is a reply to message #5398] Tue, 05 July 2011 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
admin100 is currently offline  admin100
Novice Contributor
Thanks Glenn, i was a (friend) of mine at work that doesnt like the 24in barrels, and i took it with a grain of salt,he is a 1 upper and shoots according to him only shoots pro hunter barrels. i thought buy showing him my targets from my 15in and other 24in would prove his theory wrong, but just wanted to pick some neutral brains. thanks for your advice, Paul
Re: accuracy [message #5405 is a reply to message #5404] Tue, 05 July 2011 09:43 Go to previous message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
You should send your friend to the Bellm site, Mike detests 28" barrels because of the extreme whip in them.

The first question I'd have is what's the barrel twist and what bullet weights have you tried? If you're outside what the twist rate will allow it's easy to have large groups.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Previous Topic: Encores chambered in old military calibers?
Next Topic: .260 Remington Questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 10:13:32 EDT 2024