Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » 50cal (magnum loads)
Re: 50cal [message #5836 is a reply to message #5720] Wed, 31 August 2011 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
I think I was missing the step of swabbing the barrel after each shot. When I got that 6" group, I had already fired probably 6 rounds and hadn't cleaned it. After reading that I should clean it after each shot, I was able to get about a 3" group with the 240 sst with (2) 100gr 777 pellets. I am well within MOD (Minute of Deer) now. After the season, I am going to pickup some Blackhorn 209 (BassPro has it here in my town) which I have heard a lot of good things about and try loose powder instead of pellets. The thing was though, it seemed I could fire several rounds through the Pedersoli rifle without cleaning and it had better groups. Maybe it just liked the load combo I had more than the Encore does.

[Updated on: Wed, 31 August 2011 12:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: 50cal [message #5844 is a reply to message #5836] Thu, 01 September 2011 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
Those XTP's hit very hard but they have the ballistic coefficient of a brick. If you are going to use them past about 150 yds, you really need to know how fast they are dropping and also be good at estimating your range. I prefer something that shoots flatter because I don't trust my range estimating ability that well. That's why I use the SST's. I saw a table one time that showed the drop at 200 yds for all the popular ML bullets. The differenc in drop at that range for the SST and the XTP was huge. Here is the comparison table: http://muzzleloadingbullets.com/bullet_drop_comparison.html

Notice that this company's bullets are all much smaller diameter. That is why they have so much better BCs. I'd like to try the Barnes bullets, but they cost much more than the Hornady and I've got enough Hornady stored away to last me for several years.
Re: 50cal [message #6023 is a reply to message #5629] Fri, 16 September 2011 10:54 Go to previous message
wolverine is currently offline  wolverine
Novice Contributor
My Encore is picky on bullets and sabots. I use a .452 hornaday bullet with crush sabots from Cabelas and 80gr of triple 7. Maybe you need a thicker sabot to engage the rifling or your bullet diameter is a little small. My Encore will not shoot lee maxi bullets at all, they are all over the place. It also likes the pre-packaged 250gr shockwaves.I have found that placing a 50cal felt wad over the powder charge under a sabot will increase accuracy for me, and it stops the powder from melting the sabot so you don't get that plastic fouling when reloading.
Previous Topic: Red Dot or Holo Recommendation
Next Topic: Misfires
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 23:12:36 EDT 2024