Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » .260 Remington Questions (type of barrel )
.260 Remington Questions [message #5428] Thu, 07 July 2011 02:29 Go to next message
FFmedic is currently offline  FFmedic
Forum Newbie
I would like a 260 Remington barrel for my TC pro hunter. Any suggestions on barrel length for max velocity? Tc custom shop has them but not in stainless. I looked at bullburry and it doesn't look like they flute them. I would like the 260 barrel to be stainless and fluted (as I will be taking it hunting and would like it as light as possible). As far as the barrel length, not sure yet. Any suggestions on barrel length and place I can get what im looking for would be appreciated.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 July 2011 02:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: .260 Remington Questions [message #5430 is a reply to message #5428] Thu, 07 July 2011 08:21 Go to previous message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
I shoot a Remington Model 7 in .260 with an 18 1/2" bbl and also have a Remington XP100R in .260 with a 16" bbl. Both shoot way better than I can. I know I'm loosing a little velocity with the shorter barrel but the ease of handling more than makes up for it. In an encore (having a shorter overall length anyway) a 24" barrel would make for a great combination of weight and energy. When you do get one, just make sure it has a rate of twist FASTER than 1 in 9. That is the twist that Remington put in their .260s and it handles the 140grn bullets OK but prefers 120s. If you handload, get a 1 in 8 twist and then you can load up the super-long 150 grn bullets. A 6.5mm bullet really comes into its own when you can go to the longer bullet with the great BCs.
Previous Topic: accuracy
Next Topic: Encore pistol sling question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 09:54:32 EDT 2024