Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » Thompson Center Encore Classifieds » Encore Reference Only » How to Disassemble an Encore
How to Disassemble an Encore [message #39057] Thu, 03 September 2015 14:21 Go to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
DISCLAIMER: If you decide to do this and it doesn't work for you, don't blame me (or anyone else).

Something I've learned to do every time I get a new (to me anyway) frame is take it apart, clean it, and put it back together. Especially if it's ever been attached to a black powder barrel. You should also do this once a shooting season or so.

I know there are instructions out there on how to do this, but I could never follow the pictures, so I've decided to see what I could do.

First, a few notes. Anyone who can change their own spark plugs or oil can do this.

There are no major tricks and you really don't need any special equipment/tools to do it. You will need a screwdriver, a few punches (Allen wrenches work great), and a pair of needle-nose pliers (or equivalent). Nothing you do should require a lot of force. If you find yourself having to push hard, go to a smaller punch.
index.php?t=getfile&id=6570&private=0

Round pins roll, small screws and springs wander, and small parts like to hide. I've found it safest to work on a flat surface with a white towel on it, a small parts cup with a magnetic bottom, and a plastic pencil box. The towel keeps the parts from rolling and the white background highlights them for easy viewing. The magnetized parts cup keeps all the small pieces in one place and from scattering if bumped. The pencil box is to keep all the parts in if I have to leave the project half done. For some reason parts left unattended and unwatched have figured out how to go walk-about.

Do not do this for the first time the day before you want to go shooting. There are a few steps that aren't easy right away and one step (putting the trigger/sear spring back in) that can be VERY aggravating.

If you see something you want more details on or better pics - SPEAK UP.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Wed, 16 September 2015 15:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to Disassemble an Encore [message #39058 is a reply to message #39057] Thu, 03 September 2015 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
index.php?t=getfile&id=6498&private=0

This is a standard blue frame, early model with a ridged trigger and a trigger stop in the guard. All in all, in pretty good shape.

You take the frame apart by starting from the bottom and working your way to the top.
--- Trigger guard screw
--- Trigger pin (small)
--- Sear pin (medium)
--- Hammer pin (large)

You don't have to worry about anything flying anywhere when you do this. The pins come out and the parts slide out. Well, with the exception of the hammer, it may need to twist and turn to come out the bottom.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Thu, 03 September 2015 14:50]

Re: How to Disassemble an Encore [message #39059 is a reply to message #39058] Thu, 03 September 2015 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
So, starting with the trigger group screw - carefully screw it out. The trigger is under some slight pressure from the trigger guard spring, so when you back out the screw the trigger guard may catch on the screw.

index.php?t=getfile&id=6499&private=0

Yes, this frame was used to shoot black powder, and now you see why I know to clean any frame ever used to shoot one.

Pull the parts (below), clean and lube them now, and set them aside.
index.php?t=getfile&id=6500&private=0

[Updated on: Thu, 03 September 2015 14:38]

Re: How to Disassemble an Encore [message #39060 is a reply to message #39059] Thu, 03 September 2015 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Next up is the pin holding the trigger in...
index.php?t=getfile&id=6504&private=0
And now you see even more reasons to clean the frame....

Once you remove it, the trigger will come out
index.php?t=getfile&id=6502&private=0

if you're really feeling lucky, you can remove and clean the trigger plunger. Just (he says with a bit of humor) remove the small retaining clip....
OK I've never been lucky with finding a good tool to do this. Since it's this small and difficult for me to manage/work - I NEVER DO THIS.
Spray it with carb or brake cleaner, dry lube it, and don't mess with it.
index.php?t=getfile&id=6503&private=0

Re: How to Disassemble an Encore [message #39061 is a reply to message #39060] Thu, 03 September 2015 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Next up is the sear pin...
index.php?t=getfile&id=6507&private=0

Pull it, and these parts come out
index.php?t=getfile&id=6508&private=0
Left to right: Sear, sear/trigger spring, and interlock. (Pin is on the bottom)

The interlock is the piece that keeps you from being able to cock the hammer without a barrel on the frame.

For those who want to know how to tell... a factory spring only has two loops, a Bellm spring has three.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 September 2015 15:09]

Re: How to Disassemble an Encore [message #39062 is a reply to message #39061] Thu, 03 September 2015 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
and then we go to the Hammer pin
index.php?t=getfile&id=6509&private=0

You will have to take the hammer out the bottom, and the hammer spring will slide out the top....
index.php?t=getfile&id=6511&private=0

from the left and down, then right: Trigger guard strut, hammer pin, Hammer strut, hammer spring, and hammer.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 September 2015 15:08]

Re: How to Disassemble an Encore [message #39063 is a reply to message #39062] Thu, 03 September 2015 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
and finally, the firing pin
index.php?t=getfile&id=6512&private=0

use an Allen wrench to remove the retaining screw, push against it to force the firing pin bushing out.
index.php?t=getfile&id=6513&private=0

Note how the spring sets in with the firing pin and the bushing.
index.php?t=getfile&id=6514&private=0

clean, lube, and set these parts aside
index.php?t=getfile&id=6515&private=0
Firing pin bushing, FP Bushing screw, FP Spring, and the firing pin.

Re: How to Disassemble an Encore [message #39064 is a reply to message #39063] Thu, 03 September 2015 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Now, clean the frame.... Please don't think that all of this is rust. Most of it is GUNK and it will clean with a lot of work. Also, most of what you can easily see in the pics you can't see normally. The light, focus and magnification highlight it all. I am hoping it helps motivate you to clean what you own though.

This is also why you can't just spray and go forever.

index.php?t=getfile&id=6516&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=6517&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=6518&private=0

Re: How to Disassemble an Encore [message #39120 is a reply to message #39064] Fri, 11 September 2015 15:02 Go to previous message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
If you have comments or questions, please send a PM.

[Updated on: Fri, 11 September 2015 16:10] by Moderator

Previous Topic: Yes, Encore and Pro Hunter barrels are interchangeable
Next Topic: Encore Assembly
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 09:25:45 EDT 2024