Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » Son harvests his first buck
Son harvests his first buck [message #39517] Mon, 09 November 2015 13:16 Go to next message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
This past Saturday was in the 60's with just a bit of sprinkles. We usually average 30's at this time of year. My 16 year old son Ricky, and I decided to go out and sit in our gun stands on a neighbor's farm with our crossbows just to get a feel of what we might see this year. This was our first time out on a hunt this season. We both started with the crossbows this year for hunting, as they were just made legal implements last year. I must point out that neither one of us thought that we would even see a deer at this warm a temperature. We were both in our stands for about an hour when I saw him walking down the corn field toward my stand.
Many thoughts crossed my mind as I watched him slowly walk toward my stand. Was it an equipment failure? Did he get in trouble somehow? Was he sick? Yup Dad stuff bounced around in my cranium for sure. When he got about 20 yards away he whispered up to me that he got a Spike Horn. He seemed unsure if he was in trouble. I started to laugh and told him, way to go!. I got all our gear together under my stand and went to help him fetch his prize. He told me that he waited for a while, and then came out to get me. Did just what I taught him.
My stand is around 1000 yards from his in the deeper wood lot, so we got going, he was still shaking from the adrenaline. I managed to calm him a bit as we go to the spot. He showed me where he hit it. I gave the area a good eyeball and saw it about 40 feet away in some brush. Did not even have to work a trail. Yep I was so proud I could have burst. He did it by the book, and all that practice paid off. Here is a pic that I took with my iPhone before we pulled it about 1/4 mile back to the field road.

index.php?t=getfile&id=6689&private=0

• Attachment: IMG_0583.jpg
    (Size: 163.87KB, Downloaded 389 times)

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Re: Son harvests his first buck [message #39528 is a reply to message #39517] Tue, 10 November 2015 14:02 Go to previous message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

awesome harvest! always a good time!
Previous Topic: T/C Gun Case info???
Next Topic: Son Scores WV Youth Season
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 12:27:30 EDT 2024