Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » New guy question (TC questions)
New guy question [message #39689] Sun, 06 December 2015 00:36 Go to next message
Doubletap45 is currently offline  Doubletap45
Forum Newbie
Typical new guy post here. I've always had a fondness for single shot firearms and have recently decided to get a little deeper into the genre. Having played around with various rifles and converted shotguns I've decided to give the Thompson Center guns a try. A little research has me sorting through G1, G2, G3 and Encore versions. I'd prefer to have something that I can configure both as rifle and handgun, and yes I've read about "That Question" so I'm not looking to stir up that whole debate. Just trying to figure out if the Encore is the best option or what. I rarely hunt anymore so target shooting is my main goal here. That and the fun of trying out some oddball and cool rounds that I've been wanting to play with. Thanks for reading and hopefully responding. DT
Re: New guy question [message #39690 is a reply to message #39689] Sun, 06 December 2015 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Welcome to the site!

It really comes down to what calibers you want to shoot, and how each of the weapons feel in your hands. I have both - Encores, and an original Contender (not a G2). There is no such thing as a G3. Actually, there is no such thing as a G1, although the original Contender is often referred to as the "G1".

The Original Contender has a better trigger in my opinion. I just shot a Contender and an Encore today, and the difference is noticeable. And that is after the Encore got a trigger job, and the Contender still has the factory parts in it. The original Contender trigger just feels so much better to me.

The Encore, however, can shoot calibers that the Contender does not. So if you want to jump into a .300 Win Mag, you're going to have to get an Encore. Actually, most of the more common rifle rounds - .243, .25-06, .260, .270, .280, 7mm-08, .308, .30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag, are not going to be available for the Contender.

However, I have had a ton of fun with my Contender recently with some calibers I generally don't see in the Encore (but are available - either factory, or aftermarket / Custom shop). Stuff like 7TCU, .357 Max, .30 Herrett, .357 Herrett, 7-30 Waters, etc...

The original Contender also just seems to be more of a "classy" firearm to me. It's personal preference, but I really like the look of the etched scene in the frame, and the attention to detail in stuff like the grips and forearms just make it look like there was a lot more thought put into the original Contender. Now, there are several versions of the original, and I have one of the "easy open" frames. I dislike the "angry cougar" frames though. To me, they just look cheesy. Some like them. I mean those people no offense by saying that. That design just doesn't appeal to me. Which is why this lineup of firearms is so neat - different offerings for different people. And some just like to collect them all. Someone else will undoubtedly point out why they like their Encore or G2 Contender better. That's fine with me. For them, they are just as right as I am about my personal preferences. No matter what you choose, I'm sure you will be happy with it.

Word of advice though - The newer stuff being put out by TC since S&W took over has received a lot of negative reviews. For that reason, I tend to look for older pieces and parts in high quality condition.

Good luck in whatever you choose. Check out the reference section for the Encore and Contenders to see the different models and calibers offered.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: New guy question [message #39691 is a reply to message #39690] Sun, 06 December 2015 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Excellent info Glenn. What's the easiest way to distinguish between S&W models and the older ones?
Re: New guy question [message #39697 is a reply to message #39691] Sun, 06 December 2015 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
This will be the easiest way to find out... S&W bought TC after the G2 had been released

http://www.encoreclassifieds.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&t h=5094&start=0&

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Sun, 06 December 2015 15:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New guy question [message #39698 is a reply to message #39697] Sun, 06 December 2015 20:12 Go to previous message
Forum Newbie
Thanks for the info guys. I've been doing a lot of reading today and now think I have a decent grasp of the variants and styles. Time to go shopping now. I can see this becoming an expensive addition to my already expensive habit. As I said previously, I've been playing around with converted single shots, primarily H&R shotguns, and have discovered some cool cartridges along the way. Also found new ways to apply old favorites like the .308 and 7mm. I just wasn't getting the accuracy that I wanted unless I spent $800 for a custom barrel. So maybe I'll spend less money instead of more. Yeah, that's what I'm telling the wife.
Previous Topic: 18 inch barrels
Next Topic: Anyone Know of
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 04:12:13 EDT 2024