Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Contender failure to reset (Contender fails to cock when opened then shut)
Contender failure to reset [message #39735] Sat, 12 December 2015 21:36 Go to next message
Hankpac
Forum Newbie
I have a receiver and barrel combo that I have had for at least 15 years, and bought it used.
I picked up a 30-30 barrel (both are super 14s) to use for hunting.
I noticed lately that when the barrel of either is on the receiver and I break it to reload, when closing it, it does not stay cocked. I can hear the mechanism drop inside when I close it, so I have to re-open at least a couple of times and hope it locks.
Once locked it fires normally.
when I obtained it, a factory rep was at the meet, and he replaced all the springs. Almost immediately a pro target shooter clipped a coil or two ( I couldn't see what he was doing) and put it back together. It shot sweetly, and with the slightest breath. Great for targets, somewhat sensitive for jack rabbits, but actually incredible for rested shooting for larger game (deer, hogs). I shot perhaps 600 rounds of .223, not hot at all, in the intervening time, and about 150 rounds of 30-30, with 150 gr ballistic tips. Again not a hot load at all.
Is something broke? the spring worn?
do it my self, or send it in?

www.tigerforcerecon.com
Re: Contender failure to reset [message #39736 is a reply to message #39735] Sun, 13 December 2015 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
Had pretty much the same issue with one of my older easy open frames. I put in a new set of springs except for the hammer selector, and it worked like new. It is a lip twisting, and time consuming project but I did it at home. Let us know how you make out.
Rick J.

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Re: Contender failure to reset [message #39741 is a reply to message #39736] Sun, 13 December 2015 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Check this out...

http://www.bellmtcs.com/FAQ/AboutContenderTriggerJob.htm

Basically, the first thing to check is to reset the creep screw. Over time wear (smoothing of the parts) can allow the sear to slip. Back off the engagement screw, then work to reset it until the sear holds.

On the more recent easy open frames you can get to the screw easily - it's accessible from the outside at the top of the trigger.
index.php?t=getfile&id=6720&private=0

Older frames can be adjusted with the barrel out and looking down inside the frame at the top of the trigger group.

(I think the part is called the trigger plunger, but I'm not sure).

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Contender failure to reset [message #39776 is a reply to message #39741] Wed, 16 December 2015 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrk1500 is currently offline  mrk1500
Forum Newbie
A long shot here... try loosening your grip screw
Re: Contender failure to reset [message #39832 is a reply to message #39776] Mon, 21 December 2015 17:50 Go to previous message
mrk1500 is currently offline  mrk1500
Forum Newbie
Any word on this?
Previous Topic: Barrel hanger
Next Topic: The Coolest Contender Stock - Ever
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 22:29:06 EDT 2024