Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » Anybody add sights to an Encore Barrel? (Want to add iron sights to Medium profile 308 Encore barrel.)
Anybody add sights to an Encore Barrel? [message #5560] Thu, 28 July 2011 12:07 Go to next message
Quarterbore is currently offline  Quarterbore
Forum Newbie
I am sure a good gunsmith can do this but looking for general advise and to see if anybody has had it done. I have a 26-inch Medium profile 308 barrel that I want to get cut down to make a smaller pack rifle and in the process I want to add a set of iron sights to the barrel.

I am planning to get the barrel cut down to about 18-inches and the real purpose of the rifle will be for hunting where I hike in long distances. I would take the rifle into the woods in my pack and assemble it once I get to my hunting spot. I may also look at some system were I could use a scope or the irons when I do this but obviously that makes this far more complicated.
Re: Anybody add sights to an Encore Barrel? [message #5561 is a reply to message #5560] Thu, 28 July 2011 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

your barrel should already have sights on it, at least be tapped and drilled for a scope mount..
Re: Anybody add sights to an Encore Barrel? [message #5564 is a reply to message #5561] Thu, 28 July 2011 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Eric,
Depends on what Quarterbore is calling "medium profile". If it's a 24" standard taper, of course it has sights already. If it's a 26" heavy, it doesn't have sights on it - just drilled and tapped for a scope.

Big thing is though - no matter what, if he cuts it down to 20", then he's going to need someone to reinstall a front sight.

Quarterbore,
Do yourself a favor - take it to a gunsmith. Whoever cuts it down and re-crowns it should have the skills and material to reinstall a front sight, or install sights on front and rear if it doesn't have either. You may be better off (price wise) just having a new custom barrel built the way you want it. Sell off the old one and buy a new custom.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

[Updated on: Thu, 28 July 2011 18:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Anybody add sights to an Encore Barrel? [message #5595 is a reply to message #5564] Tue, 02 August 2011 13:40 Go to previous message
Quarterbore is currently offline  Quarterbore
Forum Newbie
Thanks! This barrel is 26-inches and I guess it is the heavy profile as opposed to the bull barrel. I have a supressor that will be used with the barrel so I wanted this profile to match the suppressor mount better then the smaller profiles and the only barrels I could find were this long.

My barrel is only drilled and tapped for the scope mount so yea I need to have some other solution for sights and probably the best bet is just send it to my gunsmith to have it threaded and while he has it he can figure out how to get iron sights on it as suggested but I did plan to send the barrel to a shop that has a lot of expernece threading for supressors as obviouly the supressor is worth a whole lot more then the barrel itself so I need to make sure the trheading is properly done to prebent baffel strikes.
Previous Topic: New Encore. Hammer won't cock.
Next Topic: Another hammer cocking issue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 13:41:58 EDT 2024