Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » problems to open contender
Re: problems to open contender [message #39955 is a reply to message #39951] Mon, 28 December 2015 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
El Divino is currently offline  El Divino
Novice Contributor
kc2htv wrote on Mon, 28 December 2015 08:14
Have you tried to pull the forend off and removing the hinge pin to get it to open?

I already strip I will try after breakfast

[Updated on: Mon, 28 December 2015 09:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: problems to open contender [message #39963 is a reply to message #39954] Mon, 28 December 2015 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
El Divino wrote on Mon, 28 December 2015 09:14
rchatting wrote on Mon, 28 December 2015 07:00
I might be inclined to just send to S&W and let them fix the issue. They should cover under warranty and will pay shipping both ways. Give them a call. If it has a solid instead of split, I believe they will replace them.

first will try to do it myself if I can't will call S&W

I understand, I would probably do the same thing. My thinking is if it got stuck once, it may get stuck again and it may be an issue they can repair permanently.

[Updated on: Mon, 28 December 2015 14:09]

Re: problems to open contender [message #39980 is a reply to message #39963] Tue, 29 December 2015 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
rchatting wrote on Mon, 28 December 2015 14:08
El Divino wrote on Mon, 28 December 2015 09:14
rchatting wrote on Mon, 28 December 2015 07:00
I might be inclined to just send to S&W and let them fix the issue. They should cover under warranty and will pay shipping both ways. Give them a call. If it has a solid instead of split, I believe they will replace them.

first will try to do it myself if I can't will call S&W

I understand, I would probably do the same thing. My thinking is if it got stuck once, it may get stuck again and it may be an issue they can repair permanently.

when is open I will change barrel a 14" 30-30
Re: problems to open contender [message #39983 is a reply to message #39939] Tue, 29 December 2015 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
Crubear wrote on Sun, 27 December 2015 18:08
Here's what I'm trying to find out

index.php?t=getfile&id=6771&private=0

I suspect you have a locking bolt like either one on the left, what we're hoping for is you've got a split set like on the right.

If it's a single bolt then your best bet is going to be calling TC (S&W) and work from there, or buy a set of split lugs from one of the vendors that has them.

Bullberry will sell a set for $25
http://www.bullberry.com/gunsmithing-and-small-parts.html

already open it and it has the split set
Re: problems to open contender [message #39990 is a reply to message #39983] Tue, 29 December 2015 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
I had to go with the "Phone a Friend" option. The split locking bolts are the biggest cause of head-ache out there... and you unfortunately are off in that small % that this won't fix.

Here's what I was told...

Your 30xxx frame is designed for PRE 78 barrels, it will NOT function correctly with an post-78 barrels. If you try to make it work you'll have a better than average chance of breaking it. Post 78 (If I have my facts straight) means NO bull barrels. You will need to find and try the Octagon barrels or work a trade if you want to keep the bull barrels.

Sorry it took so long to get to a point I doubt you're going to like.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: problems to open contender [message #39992 is a reply to message #39990] Tue, 29 December 2015 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
Crubear wrote on Tue, 29 December 2015 17:02
I had to go with the "Phone a Friend" option. The split locking bolts are the biggest cause of head-ache out there... and you unfortunately are off in that small % that this won't fix.

Here's what I was told...

Your 30xxx frame is designed for PRE 78 barrels, it will NOT function correctly with an post-78 barrels. If you try to make it work you'll have a better than average chance of breaking it. Post 78 (If I have my facts straight) means NO bull barrels. You will need to find and try the Octagon barrels or work a trade if you want to keep the bull barrels.

Sorry it took so long to get to a point I doubt you're going to like.

here is what I find out.......If I close the barrel normally it will be hard to open again ..........BUT if I close it keeping trigger guard pressed and after barrel is close I release the trigger guard, it is very smoth to open it again

[Updated on: Tue, 29 December 2015 18:59]

Re: problems to open contender [message #39993 is a reply to message #39992] Tue, 29 December 2015 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
I apparently made a couple bad connections. I will get it straight and past the correcting in the am. This being a go between with just enough knowledge to be wrong and dangerous is a PITA

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: problems to open contender [message #39995 is a reply to message #39993] Wed, 30 December 2015 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
OK, so I'm an idiot.... moving on

There are bull barrels you can shoot, including super14's, but they'd have to be the "right ones". There IS A FIX you can do, and be able to shoot ANY contender barrel (except an intact G-2 Muzzie). You will need to machine the trigger guard. The issue is the STEP LUG and your frame, and no, the solution is not to machine the step off. Three minutes on a mill fixes it forever. If this is something you want to do, PM me and I'll get you set up with how to do this.

Sorry for the confusion, I had the right reason in my head but went the wrong way with timing...

Re: problems to open contender [message #39996 is a reply to message #39995] Wed, 30 December 2015 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomtender is currently offline  Thomtender
Novice Contributor
Come on Crubear we need a picture of where you machine the step/trigger guard. Please/pretty please. ThomTender
Re: problems to open contender [message #40000 is a reply to message #39996] Wed, 30 December 2015 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
1) I don't have a Contender, much less one that old
2) I don't have a milling machine
and finally

3) What makes you think I'd trust you with such sensitive information? Razz

If I can get it, I'll be more than happy to share

Re: problems to open contender [message #40002 is a reply to message #39995] Wed, 30 December 2015 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
Crubear wrote on Wed, 30 December 2015 06:21
OK, so I'm an idiot.... moving on

There are bull barrels you can shoot, including super14's, but they'd have to be the "right ones". There IS A FIX you can do, and be able to shoot ANY contender barrel (except an intact G-2 Muzzie). You will need to machine the trigger guard. The issue is the STEP LUG and your frame, and no, the solution is not to machine the step off. Three minutes on a mill fixes it forever. If this is something you want to do, PM me and I'll get you set up with how to do this.

Sorry for the confusion, I had the right reason in my head but went the wrong way with timing...

GREAT IDEA, but it won't be better if I machine or mill the barrel locking lug and make a diagonal wall so the step lug will slide easier into the barrel lug

will try to post pics, I ain't to good in using all this modern technology

[Updated on: Wed, 30 December 2015 13:22]

Re: problems to open contender [message #40003 is a reply to message #40002] Wed, 30 December 2015 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
hey El D, ignore that post and move to the one above your last one.

Previous Topic: The Coolest Contender Stock - Ever
Next Topic: EABCO states that standard 30-30 ammo can be fired in the 300 BRM barrel, does 7-30 waters.....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 06:30:10 EDT 2024