Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » Happy New Year - and Time to take care of some business
Happy New Year - and Time to take care of some business [message #40031] Sat, 02 January 2016 10:32 Go to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Hey all, hope you've started this year out well.

Something to do before too much longer. One of the best things about this site is you can buy and sell to your heart's (and budget's) content. The issue is: Do you have documentation for the stuff you have RIGHT NOW?

I used to do a good job of documenting what I have, what's on it (sights, scope, bases, rings, etc), and any thing else I wanted to keep track of. This of course seems to fall to the wayside as things move around in the long term. Now I have to think about what's where and what's on it.

Take some time and at least take detailed pictures of every frame/barrel/thing you have. This includes powders, primers, dies, bullets, boxes, etc. In other words, if you have to get anything replaced because of theft/fire/flood you have enough documentation to prove you had it. Also, get pictures of every weapon you have and a picture of the serial number and store this somewhere you can get to it quickly from the web (send yourself an email, or photobucket, or any of the other online sites). This way if they're stolen you can give the police a copy very quickly. If it doesn't have a serial number, then take a lot of detailed pics.

Its amazing how much TC stuff you can accumulate over the years, and it's really amazing how much it costs to replace it.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Happy New Year - and Time to take care of some business [message #40033 is a reply to message #40031] Sat, 02 January 2016 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I do this for all of my weapons. Difficult to do at first, and also if you stop doing it for a while. Best to just know it's going to suck the first time you do it, and then just make sure that you track everything from that point on. I try to list everything, and what type / brand / size it is - from a custom trigger or barrel, right down to the brand and type of scope rings.

I asked a good friend if he would mind holding a copy of my "inventory" a while back, and he agreed to. This is a "just in case something ever happens to me" list. I thought of it because when my own father died when I was only 3 years old, my mother didn't know the value of my fathers firearms. She gave a lot of them away because she just didn't know what to do with them, or what they were worth. My plan was to have my good friend be a reliable source of knowledge so that my wife wouldn't do the same if I accidentally pass away. The problem is... I haven't put that plan into motion. I'm still sitting on a (needs to be updated) list. Might do that this rainy weekend.

Good reminder Crubear. Thanks for posting.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Happy New Year - and Time to take care of some business [message #40041 is a reply to message #40033] Mon, 04 January 2016 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
I guess I am lazy. I just have a list of my guns and serial numbers for each with a description that I keep in an excel file stored in a couple of places. I used to take pictures, but that fell by the wayside. No excuse now since pictures are easier to take and manage than ever before. I also put my barrels on that same list and I believe TC now serializes the barrels. I also have started logging serial number of family members guns where I have had their gun in my possession for whatever reason as most don't have their serial numbers written down. My dad had an expensive pistol stolen and he did not have the serial.

If you have a gun without a serial number or something that you want to be able to identify, you can scratch/engrave your own serial number in an inconspicuous place. Use the last 4 of your social or something like that.
Re: Happy New Year - and Time to take care of some business [message #40042 is a reply to message #40041] Mon, 04 January 2016 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Glenn makes a good point with putting down a "Sell" value. Just make sure you keep it real.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Happy New Year - and Time to take care of some business [message #40046 is a reply to message #40042] Mon, 04 January 2016 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
My spreadsheet has the purchase price on mine. Guess I should add a "value" line also.
Re: Happy New Year - and Time to take care of some business [message #40313 is a reply to message #40046] Tue, 02 February 2016 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Harley is currently offline  Harley
Forum Newbie
This is a very good idea, But you know it does bring up a slight problem !! You know, The problem of he price your better half "Thinks" you paid for a certain item....

You can't fix Stupid, You can only manage it !!!!!!!
Re: Happy New Year - and Time to take care of some business [message #40317 is a reply to message #40313] Wed, 03 February 2016 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Over the years I've found honesty is the best policy. Someone said if you always tell the truth you never have to keep your stories straight.

Re: Happy New Year - and Time to take care of some business [message #40322 is a reply to message #40317] Wed, 03 February 2016 12:49 Go to previous message
Forum Regular
Crubear wrote on Wed, 03 February 2016 11:17
Over the years I've found honesty is the best policy. Someone said if you always tell the truth you never have to keep your stories straight.

Your are exactly right, just ask Hillary how that lying is working out for her...
Previous Topic: Happy New Year!
Next Topic: Way too quiet around here....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 11:21:57 EDT 2024