Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » Way too quiet around here....
Way too quiet around here.... [message #40335] Thu, 04 February 2016 17:31 Go to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
someone ask a question

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Way too quiet around here.... [message #40368 is a reply to message #40335] Sat, 06 February 2016 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gemihur is currently offline  gemihur
Forum Regular
Twisted Evil Rich,
What's your favorite cartridge in the contender line-up (wildcats included) that is suitable for reliably dispatching whitetails out to 250 yds?
What bullet design/brand would you use for this task?
Please elaborate in your answer with the powder/bullet combination recommended in the loading of this round.
Feel free to site any sources establishing a basis for your reply.
Thanks for your insight regarding this matter. Twisted Evil

Think twice...shoot once.
Re: Way too quiet around here.... [message #40404 is a reply to message #40368] Mon, 08 February 2016 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
OK, first off, I'm a paper puncher, but I read a lot.... Wink

Out to 250? Going to have to think about that....

Out to 200 though, any of the TCU's out of a 14" barrel, 44 mag, possibly either Herrett, then there's the Bullberry wildcats, SSK has a few rounds too. Basically, if it works in IMSA, it should work for deer sized game.

As for loads, I've been doing this long enough to say every barrel is different, every reloader has their own quirks, and it's more fun for you to find what works for yourself.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Mon, 08 February 2016 10:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Way too quiet around here.... [message #40405 is a reply to message #40404] Mon, 08 February 2016 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
My favorite cartridge for knocking down rams was the 6.5 TCU over a full load of AA2015BR

Re: Way too quiet around here.... [message #40408 is a reply to message #40405] Mon, 08 February 2016 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wwkmag is currently offline  wwkmag

Hard to believe that the 6.5 tcu would knock those rams down. What about a marginal hit?

[Updated on: Mon, 08 February 2016 10:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Way too quiet around here.... [message #40409 is a reply to message #40408] Mon, 08 February 2016 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
Thanks, guys, I appreciate your input and agree that a .264 bullet would be about as small as I would trust to carry terminal energy out to that range.
I'd probably elect to use my 17" Grendel barrel if constrained to that caliber.
I know that barrel length is also an integral factor in the formula.
I would probably opt to choose a larger bore for more bullet mass and one that accommodates more case volume to insure a humane dispatch such as 308 Bellm or a 375 JDJ.
... always torn as to which barrel/ammo combo best suits the situation that's liable to be encountered. I suppose it's better to be over-gunned than under, huh?

Re: Way too quiet around here.... [message #40412 is a reply to message #40409] Mon, 08 February 2016 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
That is an easy one. 7-30 waters. Enough said.
Re: Way too quiet around here.... [message #40414 is a reply to message #40412] Mon, 08 February 2016 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
As i heard/read it, in the early days of IMSA there was a huge problem with the 6.5 at some courses. After a bit of research they found that the feet weren't standardized. I never had a problem.

As for bullet size, this comes down to the trite phrase of the shooter having to do their part (hate it, name a non-explosive that doesn't rely on correct shot placement)

I thought about the Waters, but I've never shot it or researched it.

Re: Way too quiet around here.... [message #40415 is a reply to message #40414] Mon, 08 February 2016 15:17 Go to previous message
Forum Regular
Ken would have wanted us to go that route. A nice middle-of-the-road size projectile with excellent BC and more than adequate velocity. I concur.
No reason in the world to beat yourself up to get a job done. Thanks, Rich!

Previous Topic: Happy New Year - and Time to take care of some business
Next Topic: T/C Memorabilia
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 05:23:56 EDT 2024