Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » Fixing a Contender that won't open ?
Fixing a Contender that won't open ? [message #42187] Wed, 30 November 2016 21:53 Go to next message
rootmanslim is currently offline  rootmanslim
Forum Newbie
Just bought a NIB easy open pistol frame and forend.

Then bought a Super 14 222 barrel from a member here.

Put it together and could not open it. After some effort I got the barrel out and the frame back together. (there are no easy open schematics on the web)

Looking around the site, it was clear the "bolts" were the problem. Drove out the bolt retaining pin, took the, the cross pin and the spring out. Cleaned everything up.(These are the 2 piece bolts with a slight bevel on the rear top)

Put the bolts & opening cross pin back w/o the spring, reassembled the gun and it closed w/o problem. Rapped the butt and the bolts engaged. Gun was locked. Holding it level, tried to open it, it would not. Rapped the muzzle, bolts slid forward and it opened right up.

My rocket science mind tell me the bolts are too long front to back.

I would think that stoning the back of the bolts until with my "no spring installed" test, it will open is the fix.

Looking for advice before I do anything.

Thanks !
Re: Fixing a Contender that won't open ? [message #42624 is a reply to message #42187] Wed, 15 February 2017 20:08 Go to previous message
elder711 is currently offline  elder711
Forum Newbie
That is what I had to do on a barrel that I HAD STONE A LITTLE CHECK STONE A LITTLE CHECH ABOUT THE THIRD STONING IT WORKED GREAT NEED TO KEEP IT AS CLOSE TO FACTORY ANGLE AS YOU CAN
ELDER711
Previous Topic: weaver 48541 base and rings
Next Topic: Encore Pistol sling swivel bolt
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:02:17 EDT 2024