Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Want a 460 encore pistol - have some questions
Want a 460 encore pistol - have some questions [message #42456] Tue, 17 January 2017 00:31 Go to next message
Winny94
Forum Newbie
I got a good deal on an encore pistol frame and want to put together a 460 (I am familiar with the recoil and concussion).

1) Mobility isn't a huge priorty. In this cartridge is there any reason not to go 14"+? Is there an ideal, most efficient length?

2) Mike Bellm said the hanger bar is absolutely neccessary on a 460 - what is the function of a hanger bar and how is it better than pillars?

3) Who would you reccomend for a custom barrel? I was set on MGM, but then I read a load of reports stating poor delivery times, poor attention to detail and poor customer service.

4) I'm looking at going with Tony Gettel for wood, but is there anyone else I should checkout first?

5) It looks like some (many?) Of you are shooting rifle scopes on these - does anyone have a break down of form to do this effectively? Is it even possible with the 460 recoil?

Thanks for any help!
Re: Want a 460 encore pistol - have some questions [message #42460 is a reply to message #42456] Tue, 17 January 2017 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wwkmag is currently offline  wwkmag

12.5" is best carrying and pointing. Been hunting with single shot pistols for almost 40 years.
Do not use a rifle scope, no field of view. For 150 yards and under a 2x Leupold model M8 has worked best for me. Good duplex reticle and very fast to use compared to other pistol scopes.

[Updated on: Tue, 17 January 2017 09:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Want a 460 encore pistol - have some questions [message #42461 is a reply to message #42460] Tue, 17 January 2017 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
The biggest problem I had with mine was that scopes didn't react well when going from zero to warp 10. If the scope survived then the scope base came loose.

As for length, if you really don't care then go with 16". Having the flexibility to go carbine or pistol is a great option and if you decide to sell the short carbine length is a definite plus.

No matter what, get it threaded. Although you may not want a brake now, you will eventually (trust me Smile )

My baby girl shooting the .460
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/Crubear/Shooting/th_MOV06514.mp4

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Want a 460 encore pistol - have some questions [message #42512 is a reply to message #42461] Sat, 28 January 2017 20:43 Go to previous message
captaincaveman is currently offline  captaincaveman
Novice Contributor
Definitely get it braked...I have a 24' .460 rifle. I am not recoil sensitive but other parts of the gun seem to be and keep breaking. It strips/bends forearm, scope mounts come loose even with locktight. Butt stock bolt backs out etc. Love the rifle though. Sub-MOA with my handloads and it's sudden, instant, and even immediate doom to any critter you point it at. Never had a deer finish a step
Previous Topic: Another frame?
Next Topic: Bullberry Cartridge Tests...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 11:02:53 EDT 2024