Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » Another hammer cocking issue
Another hammer cocking issue [message #5984] Tue, 13 September 2011 20:30 Go to next message
glasgowm is currently offline  glasgowm
Forum Newbie
Ok, I own quite a few Encore barrels in rifle, muzzleloader and handgun, so I'm not a beginner. I've been using an Encore for 7 or 8 years.

Here's my issue. I bought a slightly used Encore Pro Hunter 50 cal barrel. When I installed it on the frame I couldn't pull the hammer back. I've encountered the problem with the bolt between the stock and frame going in to far and needing to have some washers, that's not it. I've tried different things with that and different stocks, with no answer. I can put on a regular Encore 50 cal barrel and it's fine, just as with all the other barrels. If I push the interlock (I think that's what it's called) without a barrel on, it will cock fine. My daughter just used this gun with a .243 barrel this weekend to shoot a deer, so it's working in other configurations.

I've read that the Pro Hunter and "regular" Encore are supposed to be totally interchangable so I doubt if this is the issue.

Anyone have an idea on what the issue might be?

Could it have anything to do with the breech assemblys being different types? The old one is what I would call traditional. The new one just turns a quarter turn and lifts out. Thanks in advance.

Matthew

[Updated on: Tue, 13 September 2011 20:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Another hammer cocking issue [message #5985 is a reply to message #5984] Tue, 13 September 2011 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Hmmm.... Pull the breech plug completely off and close the action (if it will let you). Does the hammer come back then? That should answer your question about the different breech assemblies. If the quarter-turn breech plug is causing it to bind, removing it might alleviate that. If the hammer goes back - culprit identified. Let us know what happens with that, and I'll keep scratching my head trying to figure that one out.

I wouldn't think that would be the problem... but you just never know!

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

[Updated on: Tue, 13 September 2011 20:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Another hammer cocking issue [message #5994 is a reply to message #5985] Wed, 14 September 2011 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
I tried that and it still didn't cock. Another part eliminated in the trouble shooting though.

Any other ideas?

Matthew
Re: Another hammer cocking issue [message #5995 is a reply to message #5994] Wed, 14 September 2011 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
polariscountry500 is currently offline  polariscountry500
Novice Contributor
I have this problem with mine but only when I use variflame adapters in place of the 209. I solved my problem by removing the primer extractor for the barrel completely. Thats what worked for me. Hope this helps!

Jason
Re: Another hammer cocking issue [message #5998 is a reply to message #5995] Wed, 14 September 2011 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
I tried removing the primer extractor and it didn't help. Any other ideas anyone?
Re: Another hammer cocking issue [message #6003 is a reply to message #5998] Thu, 15 September 2011 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
The only other idea I have is to remove the barrel locking lug from the muzzleloader barrel and put one in from a barrel you have that will let you pull the hammer. Also may want to try some heavy bolt locking springs from bellm tc's. Sounds like the interlock in the frame may not be pushed back enough to release the hammer so you can pull it back. Other than that I'm all out of ideas. Good luck with it again.

Jason
Re: Another hammer cocking issue [message #6009 is a reply to message #6003] Thu, 15 September 2011 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
I just read this after doing what you suggest here. I tried 3 different locking bolts before I found one that would work on this barrel. I also removed the primer extractor. Those two things along with shutting the action pretty hard gets it done. I have some different parts on order and after ML season I'll work on it some more to get a better fix. Bottom like for now is that it works if I'm careful about how I shut it.

Thanks for the help.

Matthew
Re: Another hammer cocking issue [message #6342 is a reply to message #6009] Sun, 09 October 2011 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MoDeer is currently offline  MoDeer
Forum Newbie
sometimes when the headspace gap is too large, a person will shim the firing pin block. have you checked to see if there are any shims behind the block.? If it is shimmed too far for the barrel your using, the hammer wont cock.
Re: Another hammer cocking issue [message #6409 is a reply to message #5984] Mon, 17 October 2011 23:42 Go to previous message
Novice Contributor
Well ran into this issue with my new 26" prohunter barrel. The frame would not hardly shut with a primer in the breech. What I found out is that when the primer is in the plug it extends out of the breech about .0010. So I had a brain storm and took a diamond dremel bit that would just fit where the 209 primer goes and polished the bottom of the primer pocket. After taking about .0005 off the bottom it shuts and cocks fine. I did my work in a drill press by the way. I also use variflame adapters( which are longer than 209)and they also worked with no problems. Hope this helps out with muzzleloader issues in the future. Very Happy
Previous Topic: Anybody add sights to an Encore Barrel?
Next Topic: Need reassembly help!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 07:10:09 EDT 2024