Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Help identifying older Contender frame
Help identifying older Contender frame [message #42719] Thu, 09 March 2017 23:05 Go to next message
Shotgunmaster is currently offline  Shotgunmaster
Forum Newbie
I recently picked up an angry cat contender at my local Cabelas and am trying to find out some more information. It is blued with a really early serial number, 2993. As soon as I can figure out how to upload some pics I will!

• Attachment: IMG_2739.JPG
    (Size: 2.32MB, Downloaded 243 times)
  • Attachment: IMG_2740.JPG
    (Size: 2.64MB, Downloaded 247 times)

[Updated on: Fri, 10 March 2017 07:36] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Help identifying older Contender frame [message #42721 is a reply to message #42719] Fri, 10 March 2017 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Year information can be found here: http://www.encoreclassifieds.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&t h=11205&start=0&

It's not an "Angry Cat" frame. AC's are just of the head, not the whole animal. The seventh frame picture in this post is the angry cat:

http://www.encoreclassifieds.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&t h=5094&start=0&

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

[Updated on: Fri, 10 March 2017 07:43]

Re: Help identifying older Contender frame [message #42723 is a reply to message #42721] Fri, 10 March 2017 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gemihur is currently offline  gemihur
Forum Regular
It's better than the Angry Cat frame.
Congratulations on the acquisition.
That grip is the original contender's configuration.
Thanks for sharing.
Jimmy

Think twice...shoot once.
Re: Help identifying older Contender frame [message #42729 is a reply to message #42723] Sun, 12 March 2017 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

Yes it is better then the Angry Cat! What caliber is the barrel? That frame is a very early frame.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Help identifying older Contender frame [message #42730 is a reply to message #42729] Mon, 13 March 2017 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
It came with a .22 barrel and a .45 barrel, thanks for the info guys, still learning about the Contenders!
Re: Help identifying older Contender frame [message #42731 is a reply to message #42730] Mon, 13 March 2017 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
So it looks Like it was made the first part of 1968, that's pretty cool. The bottom of the grip cap appears to be tarnished. Were these made of a silver or pewter?

[Updated on: Mon, 13 March 2017 01:18]

Re: Help identifying older Contender frame [message #42732 is a reply to message #42731] Mon, 13 March 2017 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

Did a little research with a friend of mine and this is what I found out. Your Contender with the serial # 2993 shipped from the factory October 16th, 1968 with a TypeII 45 Colt/410 mounted and Right hand grip. From the pix, it's in very good shape, and the grip and forend are very likely the original set it shipped with. If the .22LR is also a type II, it *may well* have shipped with it as well, However, the factory never kept track of any more than what shipped mounted to the frame. Nice acquisition on his part. Silver plated grip cap, only the exterior.

He is a wealth of Contender information. I will be glad to pass along any info that I can. Hope this is of help to you.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Help identifying older Contender frame [message #42736 is a reply to message #42732] Mon, 13 March 2017 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Great info, thank you very much for the research!
Re: Help identifying older Contender frame [message #42747 is a reply to message #42736] Fri, 17 March 2017 07:16 Go to previous message
Forum Newbie
Looking at my barrel, it is only marked .45 colt, not .410. Does this mean it wouldn't have been the original barrel to come with it?
Previous Topic: G2 Contender
Next Topic: S W customer sevice
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 12:10:44 EDT 2024