Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Contender Recocking (Accuracy)
Contender Recocking [message #42809] Wed, 29 March 2017 22:09 Go to next message
wwkmag is currently offline  wwkmag

I keep hearing that you can recock a contender w/o opening the action.
Would someone explain this. If you are saying that you hold the barrel shut and reset the trigger guard, I say ok. BUT, I may be splitting hairs here, it seems that the locking bolt would not seat with the same
seating each time. Closing the barrel or just resetting the trigger guard are two different ways to seat the locking bolt. I believe this would cause the gun to be less accurate.
Re: Contender Recocking [message #42810 is a reply to message #42809] Wed, 29 March 2017 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Yes, it works. No, there is no difference in accuracy. If you don't believe it, just go test it for yourself. I own three easy-open original Contenders, and I can do it all day, every day with all three of them.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Contender Recocking [message #42814 is a reply to message #42810] Fri, 31 March 2017 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gemihur is currently offline  gemihur
Forum Regular
cajuntec,
Would you please outline the procedure you employ to achieve this?
Thanks,
Jimmy

Think twice...shoot once.
Re: Contender Recocking [message #42816 is a reply to message #42814] Fri, 31 March 2017 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
On an easy-open original Contender: Cock the hammer. Then put it on safe and pull back the trigger guard spur without breaking it open. The hammer will fall, but won't hit the firing pin for two reasons. First, the selector switch tip will hit the frame, and neither hammer pin is aligned with a firing pin. Secondly, there is a hammer block safety that also keeps it from hitting. Now pull back the hammer again. It will cock. You do not have to break it open to reset it.
All he best,
Glenn

Re: Contender Recocking [message #42820 is a reply to message #42816] Sat, 01 April 2017 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
Is the procedure that you've outlined silent?
I would imagine that while quietly stalking game in the field this process would be required to re-cock the trigger mechanism should the situation be called for for.
Stealth would be paramount rather than the sound of dry firing (hammer fall) with safety mechanism.
Thanks,
Jimmy

Re: Contender Recocking [message #42821 is a reply to message #42820] Sat, 01 April 2017 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Jimmy,
If you want to make it silent, ride the hammer down with your thumb as you are pulling back on the trigger guard spur. In all actuality, you would be doing the same thing as you are doing with a Contender G2 or Encore (by pulling the trigger on those two, and riding the hammer down), but the advantage of pulling the trigger guard spur instead of the trigger on the original easy-open Contender is that even if your thumb slips off the hammer, the firearm will not go off because you also have the added security of the hammer block safety - which the Encore and G2 does not have.
All the best,
Glenn

Re: Contender Recocking [message #42822 is a reply to message #42821] Sat, 01 April 2017 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
Thanks for the insight to the mechanism's function.

Re: Contender Recocking [message #42823 is a reply to message #42822] Sat, 01 April 2017 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Glad to be of assistance. There is a common misconception that you have to actually crack it open, but that is not the case. There are also a lot of people that are unaware that you can pull the trigger guard spur to de-cock the weapon safely, vice pulling the trigger (relatively unsafe).
All the best,
Glenn

Re: Contender Recocking [message #42830 is a reply to message #42823] Sun, 02 April 2017 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I have always felt that letting the hammer fall by itself on to the safety selector would cause problems later. If you hit something long enough , something usually gives. Maybe I am paranoid.
Personally I like to close the barrel by feel.
Re: Contender Recocking [message #42832 is a reply to message #42830] Sun, 02 April 2017 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Hmmmm... better not fire your gun then. After all, that hammer continually hitting the firing pin, hitting the primer and causing a small explosion might eventually break something. Wink
All the best,
Glenn

Re: Contender Recocking [message #42833 is a reply to message #42832] Sun, 02 April 2017 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Good point.
Re: Contender Recocking [message #42836 is a reply to message #42833] Mon, 03 April 2017 13:20 Go to previous message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
OK boys Twisted Evil

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Mon, 03 April 2017 13:22]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: stocks
Next Topic: 6.5 creedmore
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 12:29:45 EDT 2024