Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Cerakoted Contender in SOCOM Blue - I like it a lot!
Cerakoted Contender in SOCOM Blue - I like it a lot! [message #42881] Fri, 14 April 2017 14:49 Go to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I had a Contender frame that was pretty scuffed up. It was in need of a refinishing job, and I just wanted to try something different. I've applied Duracoat before, but I've been more of a Cerakote fan in recent years. I'm a bit disabled at the moment, but wanted to get it done, so I decided to find an applicator to do it for me. After a brief search, I found Roman Arms Gun Company in San Antonio, very close to my house. Compared to buying the Cerakote and doing it myself, considering the time, effort and cost of materials, it's actually a better deal to go through them, so I did.

I'm extremely pleased with the results. I'm putting it all back together today, and adding a .44 Magnum carbine length barrel to it. I have to make a hammer pin, which I'll be tackling here in a few minutes. Just getting up the motivation (and coffee intake) before cutting, forming, and fitting that new pin from bar stock.

Here's the frame, all prettied up from the Cerakote applicator:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/cajuntec/Firearm%20pictures/Contender%20Frame%20right%20Cera_zpse7ltllgo.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/cajuntec/Firearm%20pictures/Contender%20Frame%20left%20Cera_zpslbju9oux.jpg

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Cerakoted Contender in SOCOM Blue - I like it a lot! [message #42885 is a reply to message #42881] Sat, 15 April 2017 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JMacD is currently offline  JMacD
Forum Newbie
Very nice..
Re: Cerakoted Contender in SOCOM Blue - I like it a lot! [message #42886 is a reply to message #42885] Sat, 15 April 2017 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nhmikel is currently offline  nhmikel
What did you do for prep work prior? How much did they charge for the coating?

Seeking Thompson Center items, anything TC pls pm me or nhmikel@yahoo.com
Re: Cerakoted Contender in SOCOM Blue - I like it a lot! [message #42888 is a reply to message #42886] Sat, 15 April 2017 22:40 Go to previous message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I de-greased it and bead blasted it with 80/90 Aluminum Oxide, and then smoothed the flat areas on the outside by quickly going over the bead blasted finish with XXXX steel wool.

They charged me $40 initially, but then gave me an additional discount for being retired military.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Previous Topic: 6.5 creedmore
Next Topic: change barrels
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 11:39:18 EDT 2024