Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » Encore scope base (Will not stay zeroed )
Encore scope base [message #43586] Thu, 23 November 2017 19:04 Go to next message
Rjason is currently offline  Rjason
Forum Newbie
I have an encore 270 and I can zero the scope in at 100yrd and have a really nice group but the next time I take it to the range it normally shoots about 6in high I can adjust it down and shoots fine.the next time out It will shoot 6in low and this keeps going this way. I have checked the head space. Added a Bellm tune up kit and changed the scope to a 4.5x12 Leopold with no change.can there be a problem with the base as I have had the base for nearly 20 years.the change is always up and down never right or left.
Re: Encore scope base [message #43587 is a reply to message #43586] Thu, 23 November 2017 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
when the group moves do all rounds then group at the new point of impact, or do you readjust to compensate before shooting again? in a bolt gun I have had the same sort of problem occurred a business card under the barrel ended the problem doubt that would help here, everything else remains the same? ammo different boxes different lots? I think if it was the base it would not group at all with that much movement
Re: Encore scope base [message #43588 is a reply to message #43587] Thu, 23 November 2017 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rjason is currently offline  Rjason
Forum Newbie
I readjust after 1 shot then the group is fine and most of the bullets are out of the same lot but all are from same manufacturer and grain
Re: Encore scope base [message #43656 is a reply to message #43588] Wed, 13 December 2017 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
Excessive play with hinge pin??
Re: Encore scope base [message #43673 is a reply to message #43586] Mon, 18 December 2017 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kilibreaux is currently offline  kilibreaux
Forum Newbie
Sounds like it's a scope problem. Anything in the pistol that could cause a 12" vertical shot string variation would be obvious.
Re: Encore scope base [message #44497 is a reply to message #43586] Thu, 06 September 2018 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shooting50 is currently offline  Shooting50
Forum Newbie
Rjason wrote on Thu, 23 November 2017 19:04
I have an encore 270 and I can zero the scope in at 100yrd and have a really nice group but the next time I take it to the range it normally shoots about 6in high I can adjust it down and shoots fine.the next time out It will shoot 6in low and this keeps going this way. I have checked the head space. Added a Bellm tune up kit and changed the scope to a 4.5x12 Leopold with no change.can there be a problem with the base as I have had the base for nearly 20 years.the change is always up and down never right or left.

You are having a vertical stringing problem normally caused by the forearm. Remove the forearm and rest the rifle at the hinge pin. (Don't worry it's safe to shoot this way.) See how the rifle shoots with the forearm removed leave it off and try it again the next day as you have stated. If all is good you know what the problem is. The forearm has to have clearance around the hinge pin as well as the barrel. If this solves your problem you will want to have Mike Stratton's forearm hangar system installed. Good Luck

It's not how fast you shoot...But how fast you shoot well!
Re: Encore scope base [message #44501 is a reply to message #44497] Mon, 10 September 2018 10:00 Go to previous message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
I'm leaning with Larry to the forend. Shoot it the way he suggests. Then put the forend on and try, but make sure you have your support at the rear of the forend directly under the screw. Before going with the hanger bar system, try placing a thin nylon or rubber washer on each of the screws between the barrel and the forend. The screws only have to be "Tight" enough to hold the forend on.

Let us know what you figure out too? Both what works and doesn't work.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Previous Topic: New furniture
Next Topic: Extractor spring Question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:41:42 EDT 2024