Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Low or Medium scope mount help (Help)
Low or Medium scope mount help [message #6187] Mon, 26 September 2011 18:02 Go to next message
msbp16 is currently offline  msbp16
Forum Newbie
Hi everyone. I just got a ss encore prohunter and have a Leupold VX-11 3x9 scope to put onto it. My question is for the mount and rings what are you using and is it a low or medium ring as I want to make sure that I have the clearance to be able to get to the hammer. Thank you for your help.
Re: Low or Medium scope mount help [message #6188 is a reply to message #6187] Mon, 26 September 2011 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mimccammon
Forum Newbie
hello msbp 16 I've got the vx 2 4-12AOx40 on my mgm 44mag barrel with the leupold quick release base(high dollar one) an i use the low mount bases go to leupold web site they can tell you what you need my gun is an t/c encore.
Re: Low or Medium scope mount help [message #6189 is a reply to message #6188] Mon, 26 September 2011 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
Choice of low or medium rings will be at least partially dependent on what bases you use. For instance, Leupold Std bases are lower than their Rifleman (Weaver style) so with the Std bases you might have to go to medium rings but could get by with low rings with the Weaver syle base. Also playing into the mix is whether or not you use flip-up scope caps. I had to switch from low rings to med rings once on a Rem Model 7 with Leupold std bases because the caps added just enough thickness to cause problems.
Re: Low or Medium scope mount help [message #6191 is a reply to message #6189] Mon, 26 September 2011 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Normally, with a 3-9x40 (which I have on most everything I own), I use medium rings. I always put Butler flip-up scope caps on mine, and with the medium rings, I have just enough clearance. Hammer clears well too with enough room for my fat thumb.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Low or Medium scope mount help [message #6194 is a reply to message #6191] Tue, 27 September 2011 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
Glenn brings up a good point. On most bolt-action rifles, the area of concern with clearance is with the objective bell. With an Encore, you have an added area of concern due to the hammer. Now, you also have to make sure you have enough clearance on the eye end also.
Re: Low or Medium scope mount help [message #6229 is a reply to message #6187] Thu, 29 September 2011 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
msbp16 is currently offline  msbp16
Forum Newbie
Does anyone have an opinion to go with either a Leupold mount and rings or a Weaver mount and rings as I would like to get them this weekend. Thank you so much for your help and opinion.
Re: Low or Medium scope mount help [message #6230 is a reply to message #6229] Thu, 29 September 2011 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
My vote is for neither. Ever since I started using Talley one-piece base/ring mounts, I haven't gone back to anything else. If I wasn't using the Talley's, I'd probably opt for Leupold.... but I still like Talley's better. I've also been tempted to try the DNZ brand, but keep going back to the Talley - why mess with what works?!
All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Low or Medium scope mount help [message #6570 is a reply to message #6230] Wed, 02 November 2011 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WoodsCustom is currently offline  WoodsCustom
Forum Newbie
I put a Ziess 3x9x40 on my Encore Pro hunter. I used Leupold Dual Dovetail Bases and MEDIUM Rings. There is room to install butler creek scope caps and I can cock it pretty easily.

WC
Re: Low or Medium scope mount help [message #7159 is a reply to message #6570] Wed, 07 December 2011 12:06 Go to previous message
rgvt4 is currently offline  rgvt4
Novice Contributor
I have my scope as low as possible. I use a hammer extender to pull my hammmer down. In my opinion the lower the better there is less angle

rvt
Previous Topic: whats your favorite encore/contender barrel?
Next Topic: 35 rem problems
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 16:06:35 EDT 2024