Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » Using projectiles from an open box
Using projectiles from an open box [message #44154] Sun, 15 April 2018 12:03
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
A suggestion to reloaders, old and new:

I know many of you already know / do this, but if you don't - I recommend you do. If you buy / trade for components, such as projectiles, and the box is open - check every piece.

I recently did a swap for some projectiles, and I planned on using them to reload this weekend (I still am, later this evening). As I readied the reloading bench, I dumped out the projectiles, planning to count them to ensure I had enough for this batch I'm about to load.

First I realized... there weren't as many projectiles in this box as there was supposed to be. That was obvious when I poured them out onto a towel.

But then I noticed a different one in the group. These were all supposed to be flat nosed (exposed lead) projectiles. But there is was - clear as day - a round nose projectile that was completely jacketed.

All stop. Break out the calipers and scale. I started checking the box for both projectile diameter (making sure they were all the proper caliber, which they were), proper weight (they were), and making sure they were all the same / very similar base to ogive measurement, which is my quick way of determining if projectiles are the same design .... which they were not.

4 different projectiles in this box.

Now, the majority of them are what was marked on the outside of the box. I compared them with others I had from another new box I had purchased and they match quite well.

But there were four projectiles in this box that were clearly not the same as the others.

1) The aforementioned round nose, fully jacketed
2) One with a much shorter base-to-ogive measurement, and a significantly longer overall length. I think it's a Hornady, vice a Speer. I'll compare it to my SSP's in a little while.
3) Two with significantly longer base-to-ogive measurements, that when put side by side with the others, you could tell were different, even though the overall length's were the same. They were also the only two discolored projectiles in the box.

Now... None of what was in this box would have caused me any harm at the reloading specs I was planning on loading them with. It was going to be a relatively mild load. At most, the differences could have meant different points of impact.

But it re-enforced something I learned a long time ago, and in a rush, I almost overlooked the step - check every projectile in an opened box of reloading components that you didn't personally open. They could have been different weights, etc... and if I were loading hotter, could have caused me some issues.

While it was fresh on the brain, I checked the other box as well. That box was fine.... albeit a bit shy of what I would call "almost a full box".

Stay safe. Happy reloading.

The four oddballs on the left, and an example of the remainder on the right:

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Previous Topic: imr 4198
Next Topic: Reloading dies for 223 Rem For Encore
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:34:55 EDT 2024