Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » Hinge pin
Hinge pin [message #44761] Thu, 29 November 2018 21:43 Go to next message
turkinator is currently offline  turkinator
Forum Newbie
Is an adjustable hinge pin something I should check into installing in my Encore? I shoot a 460s&w a 50cal muzzle loader and a 30/06.accuracy seems fine, but a tweak here and there can't hurt.
Re: Hinge pin [message #44764 is a reply to message #44761] Fri, 30 November 2018 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ken AZ is currently offline  Ken AZ
Novice Contributor
I prefer the Bellm oversize pins. I do an easy test to determine if I need to worry about the oversize pin.
1. Take the barrel off the frame.
2. Did the pin slide out easily?
3. Lightly oil the hinge pin.
4. Can you drop the pin through the frame holes without having to push it through?
5. Can you push the pin through the barrel lug hole without having to push it through?
6. Can you feel any play in the pin while in one side of the frame or lug hole. Check each side of the frame.

If the frame or the barrel either one have no resistance and it falls out easily I would go oversize.

If on the other hand it takes some pressure to push it out of the frame and also does not just fall through the barrel hole then the factory pin may be all you need.

Remember it is a hinge so there has to be some movement so that it will open.

If the adjustable hinge pin is used the pin may still be under size and you are just using the "wedge" shape to take out the slack. Look at the design and ask yourself if it will maintain a Zero if the pin loosens.

Just my 2 cents.

The oversize usually requires the pin to be gently drifted into the frame.

TCA Member #5228
NRA CERTIFIED HANDGUN INSTRUCTOR
Re: Hinge pin [message #44768 is a reply to message #44764] Fri, 30 November 2018 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
turkinator is currently offline  turkinator
Forum Newbie
Thanks, that answered my question. The pin I have now will not fall out, in fact it needs help going in.
Re: Hinge pin [message #44771 is a reply to message #44768] Fri, 30 November 2018 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gemihur is currently offline  gemihur
Forum Regular
Lithium grease applied to bearing surfaces of the frame and barrel lug will insure longevity.
I have multiple frames and build custom furniture and therefore mount and change barrels often and frequently, sometimes repeatedly.
My more frequent used frame/pin combinations will mic at least .001" less than spec. Oversize pin is great assistance when using that frame for accuracy work.

Think twice...shoot once.

[Updated on: Fri, 30 November 2018 22:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Hinge pin [message #44782 is a reply to message #44771] Mon, 03 December 2018 15:16 Go to previous message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Although.... Wink

I had a frame that would easily take a 2x hinge pin - drop through easily. Came that way if you're wondering. I've never had a barrel that would take a 2x.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Previous Topic: Extractor spring Question
Next Topic: Need help installing a cross bolt safety in Contender hammer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:04:43 EDT 2024