Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » ENCORE PISTOL GRIP
ENCORE PISTOL GRIP [message #44936] Wed, 16 January 2019 13:30 Go to next message
danimal is currently offline  danimal
Forum Newbie
Hey guys, I have a small hand and cant get a grip feel I like on the standard encore rubber pistol grip, its too wide.I have seen tony gettals grips and high plains grips,but they look a little too wide also.Did anybody else have that problem , and how did you fix it ? I was wondering if you could narrow original grip by sanding down sides of grip.I am sure somebody has had this problem.Has anybody sanded down stock wooden grips for a narrower width.Looking for a little feed back on this subject.
Re: ENCORE PISTOL GRIP [message #44937 is a reply to message #44936] Wed, 16 January 2019 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gemihur is currently offline  gemihur
Forum Regular
I shoot contender and they are dainty in comparison to the hogleg that is the encore.
I also build my furniture to suit my needs.
Haven't done any encore grips yet,tho.

Think twice...shoot once.
Re: ENCORE PISTOL GRIP [message #44938 is a reply to message #44936] Wed, 16 January 2019 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
You could narrow wood a bit, but maybe a easier solution would be to add texture to get a better grip there are paints and bedliner sprays easy to apply, I have small hands and short fingers also, the rubber grips are harder to fix but a thin textured glove from Home Depot helped gain the control to shoot with out feeling like the pistol would come loose, BEST fix would be to get the Pachmyar Decelerator grips, but for some DUMB a__ reason they stopped making them now everyone wants a fortune for them but work so well its worth it, the control and recoil reduction is amazing
Re: ENCORE PISTOL GRIP [message #44939 is a reply to message #44938] Wed, 16 January 2019 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
...or shoot a contender...LOL

Re: ENCORE PISTOL GRIP [message #44940 is a reply to message #44939] Wed, 16 January 2019 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I shoot both BIG boomers on the Encore and the dainty's on the G2, G1s are for powder puff's
Re: ENCORE PISTOL GRIP [message #44944 is a reply to message #44940] Thu, 17 January 2019 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
Not if you use aftermarket Reeder, Jones', or Bellm's JDJ knockoffs.
Tell that to my shoulder when shooting the .358x444 Imp.
  • Attachment: 308 Bellm.JPG
    (Size: 331.77KB, Downloaded 218 times)

[Updated on: Thu, 17 January 2019 08:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ENCORE PISTOL GRIP [message #44945 is a reply to message #44940] Thu, 17 January 2019 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wwkmag is currently offline  wwkmag

Try a 45-70 12.5" contender with 500 grain bullets, you might find out what recoil is all about.
Re: ENCORE PISTOL GRIP [message #44946 is a reply to message #44945] Thu, 17 January 2019 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have shot a 7mm mag on a contender before, was an experience to remember what a fire ball, thinking of a nasty magnum on an encore frame is in my future
Re: ENCORE PISTOL GRIP [message #44947 is a reply to message #44946] Thu, 17 January 2019 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
I've got the 45-70 in a 15" bbl. wears a 2x Nikon. I like it!
Gives more abuse in my 23" bbl cause I don't have the wrists and elbows to use as fulcrum (kinda like a McPherson strut)
The load has a lot to do with it.
Trail Boss saves lives!

[Updated on: Thu, 17 January 2019 15:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ENCORE PISTOL GRIP [message #44948 is a reply to message #44947] Thu, 17 January 2019 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Umm, Sunny... I'm willing to bet a cookie that you have NOT fired a 7mag in a Contender - and then used it to fire something else Very Happy To quote another site, pics or it didn't happen.

I've fired more loudenboomers that I care mention, busted up my off-hand knuckles a time or two with the trigger guard spur.

The one grip that fixed all that was the Push-Pull. It tamed the 45-70, the 357 Herrett, 44 Mag, and the 460 Mag on an Encore. Were I still young enough to enjoy shooting the blind, deafen, and numb cartridges I'd have a set for both.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: ENCORE PISTOL GRIP [message #44949 is a reply to message #44948] Thu, 17 January 2019 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have tried to buy this barrel from the guy who bought it out from under me don't think it will happen, it was his frame so I was not to worried about damage, the best part of it though is it looks cool and sounds cooler, the majority of the powder is burned outside of the barrel it really isn't that bad, I have shot a 35 GNR Greg's barrel it bloodied my finger well, I had not noticed before my son said hey dad your hand is bleeding, it was just to cool shooting at 500 yards seeing the vapor trail, that's some recoil on a contender, The worst Encore pistol was a 308 win it really liked my off hand index finger it wears a brake now
Re: ENCORE PISTOL GRIP [message #44951 is a reply to message #44949] Fri, 18 January 2019 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
ouch on the finger... the Herrett was the bane of my contender. Bit my finger every time I forgot to cup the grip and sheared off, shook loose, or broke every scope I put on it. Loved that barrel for clearing the range to either side of me though.

Guess i owe you a cookie

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Previous Topic: T/C Black Diamond
Next Topic: ENCORE PUSH PULL STOCK
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:08:14 EDT 2024