Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Did tc ever make a factory 41 mag. rifle barrel? (Questions)
Did tc ever make a factory 41 mag. rifle barrel? [message #45320] Thu, 25 July 2019 02:51 Go to next message
jtracy1223 is currently offline  jtracy1223
Forum Newbie
I have the opportunity to purchase a tc encore rifle with a 41 rem mag barrel. I asked if the barrel was factory or aftermarket and the seller said it was a factory encore barrel but i cant find any mention of a factory 41mag rifle barrel being offered by tc. The barrel is matte stainless bull barrel with no sights (has scope rail on it) still waiting for an email back on barrel length. Just trying to figure out what im getting into before i drive an hour to go look at it.
Re: Did tc ever make a factory 41 mag. rifle barrel? [message #45321 is a reply to message #45320] Thu, 25 July 2019 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Bull barrel = Custom Shop. IF it is true bull barrel. Some people mistakenly call the "heavy" profile barrel "bull" when it is not. Bull barrels don't taper at all. Look in the reference section under the Encore section of this site to see barrel diameters. T/C never made production run bull barrels in the Encore. They were all from the T/C Custom Shop.

Personally, I've never seen or heard of a .41 Mag Encore rifle barrel in any configuration - bull or otherwise. If he's got a picture showing the .41 Mag and Encore writing on the barrel, I'd be making the trip with cash in hand. That's just me though. It's something I've always been interested in, and it's likely a Custom Shop barrel.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Did tc ever make a factory 41 mag. rifle barrel? [message #45322 is a reply to message #45321] Thu, 25 July 2019 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
TC would make special runs at the request of different stores/chains. This may be one. There was a large batch of short barrels (16 or 18" - I don't remember) around the time TC was moved by S&W.

If it says Thompson Center (not Custom Shop)
Has the caliber correctly engraved (matches the TC part)

Then I'd say you got a treasure and as long as the price is right enjoy it.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Did tc ever make a factory 41 mag. rifle barrel? [message #45323 is a reply to message #45322] Thu, 25 July 2019 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Thanks for the quick replys. Think im going to make the drive and see what he has. Its an arms list find and the only way i can see i would loose on this deal is if he made the barrel in the shed with a hack saw and a power drill.
Re: Did tc ever make a factory 41 mag. rifle barrel? [message #45327 is a reply to message #45323] Fri, 26 July 2019 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Picked up the encore. It is a tc barrel. Not custom. Just says "encore tompson/center Rochester NH 41 Rem Mag" then the tc stamp. Very interesting indeed. I can find no mention on the interweb about this gun in this caliber. More research is needed..... But first to order reloading dies and projectiles Very Happy
Re: Did tc ever make a factory 41 mag. rifle barrel? [message #45328 is a reply to message #45327] Fri, 26 July 2019 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Congrats on the purchase. I've never seen or heard of that one. Was it a true bull barrel, or a heavy taper?
All the best,
Glenn

[Updated on: Fri, 26 July 2019 21:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Did tc ever make a factory 41 mag. rifle barrel? [message #45329 is a reply to message #45328] Fri, 26 July 2019 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
No its not a bull barrel. I guess it would be a heavy taper. Is there a certain diamiter to be considered a heavy taper or would that be caliber specific? I'll try to get some more pics and post them up here.

[Updated on: Sat, 27 July 2019 21:07] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Did tc ever make a factory 41 mag. rifle barrel? [message #45334 is a reply to message #45329] Sat, 27 July 2019 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Posted this over at greybeards and one of the ppl there said he thought the "TCA" stamp was for the "t/c owners association" a long ago disbanded group of tc owners and collectors that would get special runs of factory barrels made by the company in some calibers and configuration not offered to the general public. Tried to get more info searching google but didn't come up with much. Anyone heard of this or know how to find a list of what barrels tca offered?
Re: Did tc ever make a factory 41 mag. rifle barrel? [message #45336 is a reply to message #45329] Sat, 27 July 2019 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
jtracy1223 wrote on Fri, 26 July 2019 23:30
No its not a bull barrel. I guess it would be a heavy taper. Is there a certain diamiter to be considered a heavy taper or would that be caliber specific? I'll try to get some more pics and post them up here.

It's in the Encore reference section on this site. Heavy Taper is .850" at muzzle. That's a TCA barrel (Thompson Center Association)

All the best,
Glenn

Re: Did tc ever make a factory 41 mag. rifle barrel? [message #45337 is a reply to message #45334] Sat, 27 July 2019 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
jtracy1223 wrote on Sat, 27 July 2019 15:12
Posted this over at greybeards and one of the ppl there said he thought the "TCA" stamp was for the "t/c owners association" a long ago disbanded group of tc owners and collectors that would get special runs of factory barrels made by the company in some calibers and configuration not offered to the general public. Tried to get more info searching google but didn't come up with much. Anyone heard of this or know how to find a list of what barrels tca offered?

Not a long ago disbanded group! I'm a member, and I'd highly suggest that anyone who enjoys Thompson Center firearms become a member as well. The quarterly publication (One Good Shot) is awesome.

Info:
http://thompsoncenterassociation.org

Membership:
http://thompsoncenterassociation.org/join.html

Re: Did tc ever make a factory 41 mag. rifle barrel? [message #45340 is a reply to message #45337] Sun, 28 July 2019 00:36 Go to previous message
Forum Newbie
Very sorry. Put my foot in my mouth
there. I found almost nothing when searching beside a forum discussion from 2003 or 2004 that claimed the group was down to under 100 members and was on the way out.

Quote:

Not a long ago disbanded group! I'm a member, and I'd highly suggest that anyone who enjoys Thompson Center firearms become a member as well. The quarterly publication (One Good Shot) is awesome.

Info:
http://thompsoncenterassociation.org

Membership:
http://thompsoncenterassociation.org/join.html

Previous Topic: TC Dimension
Next Topic: Want 41 mag barrel reamed to 414 super mag. Where to start?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:25:53 EDT 2024