Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » Pistol vs Rifle Scope
Pistol vs Rifle Scope [message #45657] Wed, 04 December 2019 19:59 Go to next message
Kotaztrafy is currently offline  Kotaztrafy
Forum Newbie
Does anyone use a rifle scope on their Encore Pistol? I have a pistol scope Bushnell Trophy XLT on mine with a 243 barrel.

I did some shooting and tried to find a reliable way to hold and keep the gun steady. With the heavy weight and trying to find the focal point it is quite hard being efficient using a standard pistol grip. So, I tried holding the Encore Pistol more like a rifle and though I can't see through the pistol scope I am able to steady the gun much quicker and easier. I believe with my grasp on the fore grip there is no danger of recoil busting my eye brow open.

So, has anyone or does anyone use a rifle scope on their Encore Pistol?
Re: Pistol vs Rifle Scope [message #45658 is a reply to message #45657] Wed, 04 December 2019 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Allow me to add that holding the gun extended like a regular pistol I found the best grasp on the fore grip was to not grasp the fore grip. Rather to make a fist and rest the fore grip on the top of my fist. In which case a post coming down from the fore grip would be effective.
Re: Pistol vs Rifle Scope [message #45659 is a reply to message #45658] Wed, 04 December 2019 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
I shoot my pistol barrels from a rest, a mono pod for walking and bags or bipod on a bench, Some of the WYO shooters use rifle scopes but use muzzle BRAKES !!! when doing so, They shoot to 1000 yards some have recorded shots of 1500 yards, I just cant warm up to getting that close, One ringy dingy was enough for me, ALOT of practice on your end will make it right for you.
Re: Pistol vs Rifle Scope [message #45660 is a reply to message #45659] Thu, 05 December 2019 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Mono pod great idea! (I'm thinking fore grip invention ideas for a better grip). I'm looking at the walking/hunting/stalking scenario. Practice of course and probably most important but I don't see using the Encore pistol with a standard pistol hand grip as an efficient use of the gun. Meaning I would go though thousands of rounds to get as proficient as I believe I could using a compact (rifle scope) technique.

Are you serious!!! 1000 yards with the encore pistol?! I have a 243 rifle which is why i went with a 243 barrel (reloading purposes mostly). I hear my rifle should do a good 1k but the pistol. Some guys are gifted at what they do!

[Updated on: Thu, 05 December 2019 06:00] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Pistol vs Rifle Scope [message #45663 is a reply to message #45660] Thu, 05 December 2019 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gemihur is currently offline  gemihur
Forum Regular
Google this.
Don Bower - Quarter mile Pistol

... a reincarnation is needed

Think twice...shoot once.

[Updated on: Thu, 05 December 2019 08:23]

Re: Pistol vs Rifle Scope [message #45664 is a reply to message #45663] Thu, 05 December 2019 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As in other threads here asking what is better than a factory grip,the grip is the most important piece of the puzzle if it does not fit nothing else will matter, Look for a Pachmyar grip for it they are NOT cheap but worth every penny for the amount of control you get
Re: Pistol vs Rifle Scope [message #45666 is a reply to message #45663] Thu, 05 December 2019 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
I went to Sportsman Warehouse and discovered a scout scope

https://www.sportsmans.com/camping-gear-supplies/optics-acce ssories/scopes/rifle-scopes-red-dots/vtx-cfii-2-7x32-scout-v -plex/p/1433169

With this scope I can hold the gun with a more compact and stable shooting position. The scope will be about 11" from my face so I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy it.

[Updated on: Thu, 05 December 2019 18:42] by Moderator

Re: Pistol vs Rifle Scope [message #45667 is a reply to message #45666] Thu, 05 December 2019 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
You can always go with the Big Shot or Push-Pull furniture originally done by Reinhart Fajen, now Marty has 'em at Haus of Arms (his utilize finger grooves)
A low recoiling cartridge will allow for a rifle scope eye relief. A heavy hitter needs some distance from the shooter.

[Updated on: Thu, 05 December 2019 18:44]

Re: Pistol vs Rifle Scope [message #45671 is a reply to message #45667] Fri, 06 December 2019 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
I'm very happy with

https://www.sportsmans.com/camping-gear-supplies/optics-acce ssories/scopes/rifle-scopes-red-dots/vtx-cfii-2-7x32-scout-v -plex/p/1433169
Re: Pistol vs Rifle Scope [message #45672 is a reply to message #45671] Fri, 06 December 2019 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular
Nearly 9 1/2" eye relief ought to be ample for most situations I'm sure.
Here's Bower's story
  • Attachment: Don Bower.pdf
    (Size: 518.83KB, Downloaded 412 times)

[Updated on: Fri, 06 December 2019 21:33]

Re: Pistol vs Rifle Scope [message #46342 is a reply to message #45671] Mon, 14 December 2020 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dextron is currently offline  dextron
Forum Newbie
Thats good to hear
Re: Pistol vs Rifle Scope [message #46345 is a reply to message #46342] Tue, 15 December 2020 10:49 Go to previous message
dextron, you just had to dredge this one up, I completely forgot about this discussion, Now I have to try the Vortex scope. I should quit reading these, cost me to much money...
Previous Topic: Current barrel makers
Next Topic: Welcome, from SC
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 05:06:18 EDT 2024