Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Barrel Questions...Help!!
Barrel Questions...Help!! [message #6643] Thu, 10 November 2011 18:51 Go to next message
jprivette is currently offline  jprivette
Forum Newbie
Hello,
New member and need some help. I just got a Pro Hunter and bought a new Bergara 270 barrel. I went to sight in yesterday and on the 2nd shot the cartridge broke into about a ½” from the bottom. (Horandy 140gr SST Superformance) I called and talked to a tech from Horandy and they said it was a Headspace issue. The Headspace was .004”. I talked to Mike Bellm if anyone knows him pretty top flight on Encores and Pro Hunters. I shimmed it out .002”. He also said they were getting other calls about the Superformance ammo doing the same thing with other Encores and Pro Hunters. Questions I have are: has anyone else had this problem, what ammo spec are y’all shooting, do you have to use low recoil ammo. Just very upset about the whole issue and rifle season comes in next Saturday. Thanks for any help…Joel
Re: Barrel Questions...Help!! [message #6645 is a reply to message #6643] Thu, 10 November 2011 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I haven't used that ammo, so I really can't speak about it in my Encores. First I've heard of that problem.

Question - is there a reason you are dead-set on only using that particular ammo? If I had deer season coming up on me, I'd stop worrying about one brand of ammo and quickly find one that works. For my .270, Winchester PowerPoint 130 grains do the job perfectly, and cost much less than those fancy Hornadys.

Just a suggestion - try something else quickly and see if you have the same problems with another brand. If not, it's the ammo. If so, it's the firearm. Might just be me, but I never take a new firearm or Encore barrel to the range with only one brand of ammo.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Barrel Questions...Help!! [message #6682 is a reply to message #6645] Sun, 13 November 2011 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Tried different ammo and it cracked the cartridge in the same place as the others. Calling Mike Bellm tomorrow and asking for a refund or a different barrel. I don't reload and Hornady has also shot well for me.
Re: Barrel Questions...Help!! [message #6816 is a reply to message #6682] Sun, 20 November 2011 18:16 Go to previous message
Forum Newbie
Sending barrel back to Mike Bellm
Previous Topic: new T/C service department
Next Topic: Pistol Question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 15:39:17 EDT 2024