Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Bolt on Muzzle Brakes
Bolt on Muzzle Brakes [message #46361] Fri, 25 December 2020 13:03 Go to next message
JC_12 is currently offline  JC_12
Forum Newbie
Anybody have any preference or experience between Witt, Coretac or Kahntrol?

[Updated on: Fri, 25 December 2020 14:08] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Bolt on Muzzle Brakes [message #46362 is a reply to message #46361] Fri, 25 December 2020 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
No experience with Coretac or Kahntrol. I have a Witt that I got years ago. Looks great. Haven't installed it yet, and probably won't because the rifle I got it for is for sale now. But it seems well made. They even engraved the bottom with the measurements so if you remove it or resell it, that information is readily available on the brake.
All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Bolt on Muzzle Brakes [message #46363 is a reply to message #46362] Fri, 25 December 2020 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
cajuntec wrote on Fri, 25 December 2020 14:10
No experience with Coretac or Kahntrol. I have a Witt that I got years ago. Looks great. Haven't installed it yet, and probably won't because the rifle I got it for is for sale now. But it seems well made. They even engraved the bottom with the measurements so if you remove it or resell it, that information is readily available on the brake.
All the best,
Glenn

Same here got it because it sounded like something neat to try, and save money, Never shot it Confused Looks good though, Guess one of us should at least try it, eh Glenn
Re: Bolt on Muzzle Brakes [message #46364 is a reply to message #46363] Fri, 25 December 2020 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
sunnysmarine wrote on Fri, 25 December 2020 15:44
cajuntec wrote on Fri, 25 December 2020 14:10
All the best,
Glenn
Same here got it because it sounded like something neat to try, and save money, Never shot it Confused Looks good though, Guess one of us should at least try it, eh Glenn
If the .308 doesn’t sell, I may give it a try. But I don’t want to mark up the barrel with a clamp on that a buyer may not be interested in.
All the best,
Glenn

Re: Bolt on Muzzle Brakes [message #46365 is a reply to message #46364] Fri, 25 December 2020 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Glenn, I didn’t see the .308 listed on the site but if it’s an Encore pro hunter barrel and interested in selling the brake with it PM me. Never a bad time to add another barrel to the collection. The brake will be moving to a 23inch 300 win mag though. See any issues clamping it around the grooves?
Re: Bolt on Muzzle Brakes [message #46368 is a reply to message #46365] Fri, 25 December 2020 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
JC_12 wrote on Fri, 25 December 2020 19:58
Glenn, I didn’t see the .308 listed on the site but if it’s an Encore pro hunter barrel and interested in selling the brake with it PM me. Never a bad time to add another barrel to the collection. The brake will be moving to a 23inch 300 win mag though. See any issues clamping it around the grooves?
It’s not an Encore. It’s a LR-308 I have listed on other sites. The brake won’t fit an Encore barrel unless it’s a custom shop bull barrel, as it’s for a 1” diameter bull barrel.
All the best,
Glenn

[Updated on: Fri, 25 December 2020 21:32]

Re: Bolt on Muzzle Brakes [message #46620 is a reply to message #46361] Sat, 17 April 2021 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
As a follow up I did purchase and install the Witt. I’m not going to try and put a percent reduction on the recoil but will say that it significantly reduced recoil and muzzle jump. It is installed on a 28” pro hunter 300 WM that has been cut down to 23” and recrowned. While this gun is great for carrying in the woods typically ended with a sore shoulder from short range sessions. I’ve only had one session with it since installing and comfortably shot for about 3 hours. I reload for this gun and it did change POi which was expected but also opened up my groups. Not sure what the cause would be but will tweak my loads a little and see if it gets back in line.
Re: Bolt on Muzzle Brakes [message #46621 is a reply to message #46620] Sun, 18 April 2021 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a muzzle brake instaledl on a 30-06 my groups went from 1.25 at 100 to 12" at 100 shop said they forgot to clean out the bluing salts did help but not enough, went to another shop they found the bullets were actual striking the inside of the brake, The brake was not centered to the bore, just a thought you may want to look at, My current guy has bore diameter rods to check for this problem he has shown me several off center, I have not used my Witt brake yet either concerned of the scuffing
Re: Bolt on Muzzle Brakes [message #46975 is a reply to message #46621] Sat, 01 January 2022 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mjgonehunting is currently offline  mjgonehunting
Forum Regular
Sort of on this same topic, the Witt sight wants a measurement at the muzzle, and then one behind the muzzle to properly fir it.
I can’t find an actual diameter in the references for the Katahdin barrels.
Are they actually tapered? They look near straight in pictures.
I wouldn’t order without confirming, just a curiosity that I thought maybe one of you guys might be able to answer.
Wondering if the clamp on will work on a 460 Katahdin or if I should bite the bullet and thread it!
Re: Bolt on Muzzle Brakes [message #46978 is a reply to message #46975] Sat, 01 January 2022 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you NEED to measure the diameter with calipers they go by thousandths of an inch to make sure the bore centers in the brake, I still have not used mine, I would lean towards threading and have a protector made for those times you don't want the blast, Whitt's SME is looking like a good alterative, a shielded brake. I keep talking my self out of it though to many other toys to buy
Re: Bolt on Muzzle Brakes [message #46980 is a reply to message #46978] Sun, 02 January 2022 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mjgonehunting is currently offline  mjgonehunting
Forum Regular
Thanks.
I wasn’t sure how much variation there actually is between barrels, and if they actually have taper. I don’t have another Katahdin to compare it so I’ll wait and see when it comes in.
Re: Bolt on Muzzle Brakes [message #46983 is a reply to message #46980] Mon, 03 January 2022 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
While you're measuring the outside of the barrel, check how centered the bore is. Someone I got into Encores has a barrel where the bore is WAAAAAAAAYYYYY off center. You could have a perfectly mounted brake that still gets hit by the bullet.

Also, NEVER use filler of any kind to fireform rounds with the brake on. You'd be amazed at how much damage they can do (the filler, not the brake).

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Mon, 03 January 2022 00:27]

Previous Topic: Encore Magnum Barrels
Next Topic: Scope mounting screws on a TCR mod 87
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:19:29 EDT 2024