Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » 209 x 50 barrel damage
209 x 50 barrel damage [message #46773] Sat, 14 August 2021 19:51 Go to next message
Longshot509 is currently offline  Longshot509
Forum Newbie
Hello, new guy here, just joined today. I was wondering if anyone would be able to comment on a problem I have with a 209 x 50 barrel I have for the Encore. I have managed to put a "ring" in this barrel. Does that automatically mean I have ruined it? The ring can be felt with a cleaning rod and patch down the bore . It is 16 3/4" from the breech end on a blued 26 1/2" muzzle loading barrel. I know exactly how I did this, I was using a plastic sabot made for a .490" roundball. I rammed the ball and sabot down tight on the powder, but as I laid the barrel down on the sandbag to shoot from the bench, the roundball rolled part way down the bore unknown to me. When the pressure wave hits an object partway down the bore, a "ring" is the result.I have fired a few shots since then, and it seems to shoot OK, but is this a safety issue, have I weakened the barrel to the point where it would be unsafe? I have been thinking of possible ways to fix this, one would be to have the barrel cut and crowned to make a 16 1/2" pistol barrel out of it. Any ideas or experiences with this?

[Updated on: Sat, 14 August 2021 20:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: 209 x 50 barrel damage [message #46781 is a reply to message #46773] Mon, 16 August 2021 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
If I remember right there's a section at the crown that is smooth so you can set the bullet to start it down the barrel. I'd say have the barrel cut whatever the length is that would leave you 16.5" of usable barrel.

Under normal circumstances I'd say sell it as is and buy another, but prices are a tad high for some reason.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: 209 x 50 barrel damage [message #47303 is a reply to message #46781] Sat, 27 August 2022 19:13 Go to previous message
Rawhide67 is currently offline  Rawhide67
Forum Newbie
Probably ok to continue shooting. If you are really concerned, I cut one back to 15” to get rid of pitting. Shoots great, but it’s a handful with two 50gr T7 pellets. You could do the same with yours.
Previous Topic: Hard Side Case
Next Topic: TCA Contender Identification
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:06:36 EDT 2024