Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Pistol Question
Pistol Question [message #6820] Mon, 21 November 2011 09:39 Go to next message
Wisconsinvette is currently offline  Wisconsinvette
Forum Newbie
I am new to the Thompson line and have a Pro Hunter. Can I use this receiver to make a pistol? If so what should I get to take an elk or a mule deer?
Re: Pistol Question [message #6824 is a reply to message #6820] Mon, 21 November 2011 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JasonBubbabeck is currently offline  JasonBubbabeck
Forum Newbie
Making a frame labeled as a rifle on the 4473 form (it is labeled) from the factory, you CANNOT make a rifle; this constitutes a short barreled rifle, aka lots of trouble if caught.
Will it work mechanically yes, is it a lot of fun yes

Hope this was helpful

(ps i have a frame labeled pistol from the factory and i carry a copy of my 4473 form with it when i travel, just because i have the tools to make a destructive device, aka a short barreled rifle, all in one case, the 4473 copy prevents any question on this.)
Re: Pistol Question [message #6828 is a reply to message #6824] Mon, 21 November 2011 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

I on the other hand, regularly interchange the barrels on all of my frames...

I do make sure to change out the stock for a pachmayr pistol grip before sticking on the pistol barrel.

I'll take my chances, the BATF has much bigger things to worry about.

I suggest you make your own decisions regarding legal matters, regardless of venue or topic.

To answer your question, 25-06, 308, 30-06, etc.. what are you looking for performance wise?

[Updated on: Mon, 21 November 2011 21:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Pistol Question [message #6829 is a reply to message #6828] Mon, 21 November 2011 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wisconsinvette is currently offline  Wisconsinvette
Forum Newbie
I am looking for something I can carry for deer or elk that will perform well out to 150 yards. What would you say is good and what barrel length do I need?
Re: Pistol Question [message #6846 is a reply to message #6829] Wed, 23 November 2011 07:14 Go to previous message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

375 winchester would do that, any factory barrel length
Previous Topic: Barrel Questions...Help!!
Next Topic: What ammo...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 02:47:11 EDT 2024